Their eyes strangely sparkled harder when they caught sight of the Nara chibi near him, but Kakashi brushed that off for a moment to pay attention to more alarming things.

Like Gai, for one.

And how the hyperactive ninja found him in this place, for the other.

Kakashi could chalk it up to coincidence or fate for as to how the Nara heiress found him, but Gai-

Kakashi specially covered his tracks and used stealth techniques just so the other ninja wouldn't find him.

(For the record, he didn't just go the long way to Ichirakus because he was petty and he wanted Minato-sensei to get whipped by his wife. Kakashi also did that in order to avoid the endless pestering Gai put him under.)

(Kakashi could handle three to five challenges per week, but three to five challenges per day was pushing it, damn it.)

With his self-proclaimed rival suddenly appearing out of nowhere, added to the fact that Kakashi still hadn't been able to deal with the judgemental Nara toddler currently talking to his dog in a very serious manner-

Kakashi was slowly getting overwhelmed.

"I was escorting these youthful and inspiring youths in their journey to find you."

"What." He replied flatly.

"What?" Gai flashed a bright smile. "They said they were looking for a white-haired man that looked suspicious. You fit the bill."

Kakashi's eye twitched even harder. Just how was he supposed to take that as?

"I'm younger than you, Gai." Kakashi pursed his lips. "I can't exactly be called a man at the moment."

"Maa," Gai waved his hands, unconcernedly. "Ninjas are considered adults in everyone's eyes, so you still fit the bill."

"So I looked suspicious then?" Kakashi raised his brow.

"How could you say that, my eternal rival?" Gai looked shocked. "You - suspicious? How despicable. How could I say that to such a cool, fashionable friend?" Gai patted the head of a serious young Hyuuga who was standing at the head of one line. "Right?"

The Hyuuga glanced at Kakashi before slowly nodding - visibly dubious. "Right."

"I thought they were referring to your mask." Gai reasoned sincerely, his teeth blinding as his smile widened. "How could I make fun of you, my eternal rival? I wouldn't say such a backhanded, unyouthful thing."

Kakashi stared at Gai dully for a moment before clicking his tongue - discontented.

...That little shit.

People would often say that Kakashi was the harsher between the two of them - always painting Kakashi as the cold, mocking one in their relationship, but Kakashi knew better.

Gai's waters ran deep. There was a reason they got along and it wasn't because Gai forced him to.

(Gai was an exceptional shinobi - with hidden depths that even Kakashi couldn't see through at the moment. He had potential and the grit to keep on going, and Kakashi never turned up his nose on strength.)

The show Gai put on wasn't feigned, but it would be a mistake to measure Gai based on the image he showed to the public.

"Is he the one all of you were looking for?" Gai asked the little Hyuuga happily.

The toddler shook his head. "No, but we thank you for the help."

Gai gave a thumbs-up. "Ah, so polite. I'm sorry I couldn't help much."