xvii

17.

Kyoya woke to the sound of a door opening with a creak.

He felt like shit.

Scrambling to sit up in the bed he was put in, Kyoya winced at the pounding headache he got for his effort and squinted at the sight of his mother's worry and his father's utterly blank face.

Fuck.

He knew shouldn't have played with his prey.

"Shikari-chan." His mother started reproachfully, eyes tightening as she observed his form. She approached him slowly - as if afraid he would turn away - before taking him carefully between her arms. "I'm glad you're okay." She said fiercely before holding him tighter.

Kyoya grimaced, letting the show of affection commence with no protest before sneaking a glance at the mostly quiet omnivore in front of him. The man's usual languid look was gone - replaced with, after a moment's observation, a hardness that Kyoya couldn't pinpoint.

"Shikari" His father frowned, looking at him intently. "What in the world were you thinking?"

"Shikaku" His mother scowled. "Our daughter-"

"I knew you were intelligent. Talented." His father continued, ignoring his mother's protest. "Far beyond your age and even in our clan, you're an anomaly. However, what in the world was in your head when you left behind the genin that was supposed to be watching over you?" He raised his voice slightly. "What in the world was running through your head as you challenge a ninja willy-nilly-"

Kyoya scowled.

At the risk of sounding like his father but going with it anyway because it just fits the situation, this was such a drag.

It wasn't like Kyoya actually knew the man he fought was a carnivore. His past notwithstanding, he's only three

Kyoya had better sense than that.

Usually.

(Kyoya ignored the numerous stunts he pulled inside the Nara compound. As far as he was concerned, those didn't count. Those pineapples needed the workout anyway.)

The man was suspicious and rubbed him the wrong way. If Kyoya's plan of action on dealing with his hunch consisted of letting the man land some blows on him so he could speed up the ninja training to a more acceptable level, he just saw an opportunity and took advantage of it.

Killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

It wasn't like he actually planned to lose.

"-and are you even listening to me?" Shikaku grimaced when Kyoya just looked at him blankly. "Of course you're not, you troublesome girl." He pinched the bridge of his nose in dismay. "And that's not even considering the mess with the civilians-"

"Civilians?" His mother interrupted baffledly. "What are you talking about Shikaku?"

His father opened his mouth to reply when a knock was heard and an unfamiliar man - one with startling blue eyes and blond-hair - walked in hesitantly.

"Shikaku, Yoshino - sorry for the intrusion." The man smiled sheepishly. "I was visiting Rin, you see, and, since I'm here already, I wanted to drop by to check if your daughter was alright."

"Troublesome." Shikaku grunted as Yoshino swatted him in the arm in scolding. "It's okay, Minato. Shikari's awake."

"That's a relief." Minato grinned as he moved closer to Kyoya's bed. "Rin was quite worried."

"Are your students alright then?" Shikaku asked seriously.

"They're healing but-" Minato sighed. "With Obito's situation-" He paused before shaking his head. "It's complicated."

Shikaku nodded in understanding.

Minato smiled wearily down at Kyoya. "You were really brave though, Shikari-chan. The brown-haired nee-san you saved the other day was really grateful for your intervention." He patted Kyoya's head fondly. "Thank you."

Kyoya pulled a face. "Stop crowding, herbivore."

"Shikari." His mother scolded.

"No. It's okay, Yoshino-san." Minato furrowed his brows as his hand fell down to the side. "I eat meat though." He cocked his head in confusion. "Shikaku-"

"Don't ask." His father grunted. "We don't know where she got that from either."

A sharp rap from the door was once again heard and once again, the door revealed an unfamiliar visitor - this one dark-haired and stern.

"Fugaku-san." His mother greeted. "What are you doing here?"

"Yoshino-san. Shikaku-san. Minato-san." Fugaku acknowledged politely. "I'm sorry for irrupting, but the noble I talked to you about the other day, well-" He grimaced. "He's not letting the matter go and the Hokage is getting fed up with the man's demands. He even brought an entourage today, Kami." Fugaku shook his head exasperatedly. "He's asking for the parents to take the heat. Mikoto's trying the best that she could to talk for a compromise, but the man was persistent on getting on Shikari's case."

Yoshino narrowed her eyes. "I don't understand, Fugaku-san. What happened? How is Shikari even related to this?"

Fugaku started and shot Shikaku a look. "You didn't tell her?"

Shikaku slumped. "I was about to."

Fugaku frowned. "Shikari, along with Itachi, managed to offend the Daimyo's favored cousin the other day. They beat him up and the civilian sustained some injuries."

Kyoya stiffened as he saw how his mother's face darken.

Shit.

It really wasn't his day today.

"If I may ask Fugaku-san, did you found out why the kids did it?" Minato suddenly asked.

Fugaku pursed his lips. "Itachi couldn't really remember and we're hesitant to press for more since he's still recovering from the kidnapping ordeal."

Minato nodded. He turned to Kyoya seriously. "Shikari-chan? What happened? Why did you beat up the man?"

"The herbivore was disturbing the peace." Kyoya looked away. "He's harassing the civilians in that district so he deserved to be bitten to death."

"I see." Minato straightened. "Can I come with you then, Fugaku-san?"

Yoshino gawked. "But Minato-"

"It's fine, really." Minato pacified. He smiled. "I can handle it."

"Troublesome." His father yawned. "If you insist, then we wouldn't stop you."

"Shikaku!" Yoshino protested.

"What?" Shikaku frowned. "Minato's stubborn. We're better off expending our efforts on other things."

Minato laughed.