"Wh—What's going on?" Adrian asked, his voice raspy. His eyes landed on Lily and widened. "Lily! You're awake!"

Lily nodded. "So are you."

He gave her a flat look. "Yes, I can tell."

Elize gave an unexpected snort, and then blushed.

"How do you feel?" Ada asked her brother, rubbing his back.

"Well, my head hurts, but I'll live," Adrian said. He turned to Elize. "I will, won't I?"

The healer pursed her lips. "Without a doubt. You were lucky."

"See?" Adrian said, grinning. "I'm fine. Now," he said, his face growing more serious, "Tell me what's happening."

"I'm being...sent to Qarini, probably," Lily murmured. She couldn't say exiled, not again.

Adrian blinked, looking confused.

"It's not safe for her here. She's a Gongjensu target, and now they know exactly where she is. She needs to leave," Arlo explained.

"So—Qarini?" Adrian asked, his face scrunching up.

"She'll be protected there—she'll be living with nobles or possibly the royal family itself. They won't expect her to be there," Arianna said, as if trying to reassure herself.

Adrian nodded, his eyes shadowing over as he glanced at Lily. "When will you leave?" He asked, his voice low.

"It depends on whether or not the Queen agrees," Arianna said. "But nearly two weeks, I suppose."

Adrian nodded, his eyes now sorrowful.

"And Iri says she's going with Lily," Ada said, sighing.

"What? Iri, are you mad?" Adrian asked, narrowing his eyes at her.

Iressa sighed. "I can't stay here, Adrian."

He seemed to understand. He nodded and turned to Arlo. "So, that's it, then?"

Arlo limped over to him and took his hand. "All we can do now is keep our settlement safe. The attack was successful."

Adrian closed his eyes and let out a deep breath, letting Arlo rub his back.

Lily felt tears burn behind her eyes again as she watched them—these people were family. Somehow, they'd included her as part of them, and now she was leaving. Again.

Adrian finally opened his eyes and forced a smile. "I suppose I'll just have to spend as much time with Lily as I can, then."

"Oh, yes," Arianna said, wiping her own eyes. She tried for a smile as well. "We'll all be hovering around you now, Lily."

Lily felt her lips pull up at the corners. "I wouldn't mind that very much."

"Well," Elize said, getting their attention, "Hovering is fine, but I'd prefer if you don't do it right now. I need to check her wound."

The others shuffled out, leaving only Elize, Adrian and Lily in the room.

Lily gave Adrian a pointed look, and he rolled his eyes before closing them. Elize pushed aside Lily's blankets and pulled up her shirt.

Lily grimaced at the bloodstained bandages wrapped around her torso.

Elize caught her look and grunted. "Imagine what it was like before we cleaned it."

"Ugh," Adrian said.

"Adrian!" Lily exclaimed, shooting him a look. Thankfully, his eyes were still closed.

"Don't worry, I'm not looking," he said, sounding exasperated.

"Good. I'm breaking rules by just having you in here," Elize said, her fingers prodding at Lily's bandages. She caught Lily's eye. "I'm going to give you something to dull the pain, alright?"

"Can I have some of that?" Adrian asked, as Elize poured a green liquid into a cup.

"Later," Elize called, handing the cup to Lily.

Lily swallowed it and waited for a while, until her limbs grew numb and the pain in her abdomen ceased. She looked away when Elize removed the bandages.

"That's probably going to put you to sleep," Elize added, grimacing at the wound. "So you won't feel it."

"Thank you for telling me," Lily murmured dryly, letting her head fall back. Drowsiness was already washing over her. She just hoped that she wouldn't wake up out of a nightmare.

"Sweet dreams," Elize said.

Lily shut her eyes, giving out a shaky yawn, as the herbs pulled her asleep.

Bit less heavy, right? I felt like I needed to lighten the mood a bit. But just a bit. Don't forget to:

Vote!

Comment!

Share!

And thanks for reading! :)