Lyall Hound- Spoils

After the meeting with Yule, I headed home quickly. Though it was colder back without the fox pelt, I managed.

When I finally got back, Shiv came sailing from the kitchen, eyes wild and wings fluttery as she proceeded to perch on my extended arm.

"Calm down," I couldn't hold back a small smile as I stroked her feathers. "What is it?"

Shiv screeched, and I went to the kitchen. Lying on one corner of the room is a mouse, its insides spilled out beside it, fur drenched in blood. It looks quite disgusting, but for Shiv, it's a clean kill.

I flashed the best smile I could manage. "Well done."

Shiv screeched proudly before flying to the corner and swooping down on the dead mouse. She spiraled over it excitedly, before flying to the next room to feast on her kill.

When she left, I put the milk bottles on top of the table. I stared out the window and saw the usual sight. The forest. Snow. Sky. There was a loud "boom!" and I was vaguely aware of the war. It must be happening close. Unusually close. Cannons weren't that loud.

But that was the least of my worries. The war never reached the village. It came close a few times, but it never raged in. Somehow, the village seemed like a grenade it should not step on.

I found the bowl of fox meat and set it on the table. I got a fire going as the sound of explosions began to ring in my ears. When the fire is good enough, I got a pan and with a wooden spoon got the fox meat simmering in the pan over the fire. A few more hours, and I'd have supper.

When I went out of the kitchen, I remembered the deer I promised to hand over to Thomas Grant before sunset. I have to hunt.

I equipped my dagger as i walked into the main room. Shiv looked up from the floor, her beak stained with mouse blood.

I raised my dagger slightly to indicate what we should do.

Shiv looked hesitant, wanting to unwind and relax as much as I do. But I need money. We both do.

I opened the door and Shiv flew out first. I ventured into the woods after her.

As I roamed the frozen forest, I suddenly thought of Yule. Strange thought, itt would be, since I seldom thought about other people. But somehow, I wondered how she's doing.

As I changed course, Shiv flying over me, waiting for my shout which would signal a hunt, I wondered if I'll see Yule tomorrow. If that's going to happen, I decided to be friendly towards her. Aside from the incident 5 years ago, I wanted to be friendly with her because I don't think it'll hurt my chances of survival knowing someone who could help you. But I don't think Yule will help me hunt. She looks too fragile, too breakable. I don't think she'll make it through a short run. But somehow, there was something about her which made me think she could help me...

I was so buried in my thoughts I almost missed the unmistakable glint of a deer's eye.

Alarmed, I looked up to see Shiv, but she was way ahead of me. She was already flying after the deer, which coursed through the snow expertly.

I brandished my dagger, and ran after it too. The deer ran faster.

As we ran, I assessed my surroundings, wondering if there’s something to my advantage or disadvantage. What I spotted was neither. A river.

It was freezing, not wide enough for the deer to jump over but wide enough for me, deep enough to drown my prey but shallow enough for me to wade through. I have to get the deer before the river swallows it.

"Shiv!" I yelled. She must do something to at least make the deer turn to another path.

Shiv screeched and arrowed down. She pulled back at the last second and landed on the deer's head. She screamed at the scared creature, and the deer made a sound of alarm.

Despite the cold, I was starting to sweat. Even with a falcon on its face, the deer was running as fast as ever. I forced myself to speed up, but my breathing was starting struggle, and I want to stop.

I threw the dagger, despite the fact it wasn't built to be used as such. To my anger, it came sailing over the deer's head, thanks to my terrible aim. Then, it hit a skinny branch. The dagger bounced back like a ball and its sharp blade hit the deer straight in the eye.

As the deer collapsed only inches from the coursing river, Shiv flew off. Finally, I arrived at my prey, dead and defeated. I pulled out the dagger, soaked with blood. Then, I heaved the deer over my shoulder.

Shiv screeched from above. For once, I didn't know what she meant. Then she flew off rather hurriedly back home. Just as I was wondering what drove her to flee, I heard a loud boom and the unmistakable grinding of metal.

 The War. It's here.