Awaken the snake

Me and Miguel sat there waiting patiently before Miguel decided to speak up.

Miguel: So am I going to get the karate pajamas too or-

Me: Dude! I say nudging him in the shoulder.

Miguel: What? He asks looking at me confused.

Me: There not pajamas... it's called a Gi, and you'll get one when you've earned it.

Johnny: Mr. Caine is correct... tell me, have you taken Karate before?

Me: Yes Sensei! I answer back proudly.

Johnny: Good... he says before turning back to Miguel. Just like Mr. Caine here, a student only speaks when spoken to... is that understood?

Miguel: Yes.

Johnny just looks at him expectantly.

Miguel: Um... Yes sir? He asks clearly confused.

Now... I could speak up, but I'll let Sensei Lawrence take care of this.

Johnny: You will always address me as Sensei is that understood?

Miguel: Yes Sensei.

Johnny: Good, he says as he turns to both of us. Caine! Diaz! Are you ready to begin your training?

Me: Yes Sensei!

Miguel: Yes Sensei.

And before he knew it Sensei grabbed Miguel by the arm and flipped right onto his back.

Lesson 1: Strike first! Never wait for the enemy to attack.

Miguel: You could have at least gave me a warning or something! He says as he tries to get up.

Me: There are no warnings in karate, your enemy will always strike when you least expect it!

In response Sensei gave me a nod of acknowledgment before continuing on with the lesson.

Johnny: And besides... we don't train to be merciful here, he says as he circles around Miguel watching him take a puff from his inhaler. Mercy is for the weak! Here... on the streets or in competition when a man confronts you he is the enemy and an enemy deserves no mercy! What is the problem Mr. Diaz?

Miguel: It's no problem Sensei, you punched me and I have asthma so-

Johnny: Not anymore! He says as he grabs Miguel's inhaler, throwing it against the wall and breaking it. We do not allow weakness in this dojo! So you can leave your asthma and your peanut allergies and other made up bullshit outside, is that understood?

Now I had to step in.

Me: With all due respect Sensei those are real medical problems he was diagnosed with!

Johnny: What part of no weakness did you not understand Caine?

Me: Yes Sensei I understand but-

Johnny: But what? Cobra Kai isn't just about karate, it's a way of life! Take that first lesson over there, he says motioning to the creed on the wall.

Me: Strike first.

Johnny: Correct. Striking first is the initial step towards victory, like when your at a party and you see at hot babe?

I nod my head response while I Miguel speaks up.

Miguel: I don't know about Caine, but I've never been to a party so-

Johnny: Yeah big surprise, he says turning his attention back to me. Caine... you ever been to a party?

Me: Yes Sensei.