My Man - 7

Millie

The surgery was a success.

After an advanced high profile surgery you would think the doctors would want to keep him in hospital and monitor his progress.

No.

They released him to my care in three fucking days.

My. Care.

I took him to his house. He lived in a quiet residential area, in a single family home all by himself. Gavin had a key and told me what's what.

"I'd stop by whenever I can. I had to report to work now we're one head short." He apologized.

"I understand. Thanks."

I agreed to stay with Sam on my own. It's my own choice. It's either Gavin or me or a stay at home nurse.

It was shocking that Sam didn't have any friends except the cops in his office. The sheriff came once and informed me that all the medical expenses would be taken care of.

Gavin was a family man with two kids and one on its way. So I offered to stay. I felt like I owed Sam, for all his help. It would be heartless to let him in the care of a nurse when there's no medical need.

Sam, when he was awake, didn't remember any of us and he couldn't walk or talk properly.

Doctors said that's expected, his vitals were strong. What level of recovery he would make was purely upto his nervous system. They're hopeful though due to his age and physical strength. They estimated that he would be able to walk on his own in a few months. His right arm was screwed together with metal plates. That too he would be able to use, but not to its former glory.

His memory... Sam thought we were his nurses. He called Gavin "Nuzz."

Doctors weren't worried about that either. It's one of the least bothered side effects of the brain surgery in their list. He would regain his memory back as the medicines wore off.

The first night back from the hospital, he was a quiet patient, slept most of the next day and night. A nurse had explained to me how to help him up and out. Sam was a zombie of his former self. In just five days, he had lost noticeable body mass. So it wasn't difficult to help him to the bathroom or change his clothes. I managed.

The next day he tossed and thrashed in the bed. I had to hold his right arm forcefully to keep it safe.

Terry and Carl came to see Sam that evening.

"I can stay after school until he gets better." Terry offered.

"Over the weekends too." Carl said.

I hugged them both. "Thanks. I'd take your offer up for weekends. But on weekdays I'm good."

"You're not good. Look at you. You got circles around the eyes." Terry glared.

"You wouldn't be able to handle him alone. Also you'll be tired after school. I'll manage. Gavin said he would stop by often." I explained with a calmness I didn't feel.

Terry grumbled.

"I didn't know you were this close friends." Carl said.

Terry shook his head at him in warning, as if he knew it was a sour subject to bring up.

Carl looked alarmed and wandered off.

"Are you alright? For real?" Terry asked.

"For real, chèri. I'm still in shock. But I'm okay."