Chapter 32: Once and For All

Start from the beginning

He laughs warmly, squeezing her shoulder and nodding in agreement before moving away towards the door, allowing Axel his turn. The Exo's large frame shifts awkwardly like he isn't sure what to do. He makes an effort anyway, optics staring into her eyes earnestly as he speaks.

"Well kid, we've taught ya everything we could." His voice trails off as he rubs a gloved hand across the back of his neck. Despite the uncertainty written across his face, he adds, "And uh come home will ya? It'd feel weird without ya here."

Eden rushes forward, hugging the Exo tightly. His hands hover above her for a few seconds before he finally decides on a few back pats.

"Okay kid, okay. Don't go all mushy on me."

Eden chuckles but releases him, nodding, before finally turning to Jaren.

From behind her, Lance clears his throat and Axel takes it as a cue to move away and exit the room with Lance, leaving only her and Jaren. Eden struggles to look at him, choosing instead to look at her gloved hands.

"So..."

Jaren raises an eyebrow and echoes, "So."

Eden bites her lip before deciding to try and talk.

"I, well, um I just wanted to... what I wanted to say is..." She trails off when she looks up to see Jaren right in front of her, smiling. His eyes are soft and his face shows no sign of mocking at her inability to form a sentence. Instead, he brushes a hand against her cheek with the most feather-light of touches.

"I promise we'll be back. And then, I'll show you all the best places in the City."

With that, he presses a soft kiss to the corner of her mouth.

Eden stands frozen and blushing. Her heart pounds rapidly as the warmth in her chest spreads throughout her limbs to her fingers and toes.

"That...that would be nice," Eden murmurs, finally smiling widely and looking up into his glowing eyes.

Joy spreads across his features and he presses one more kiss to her cheek before leaving her alone in the apartment.

Eden's heart jumps with excitement. A breath she didn't know she'd been holding leaves her chest and she squeals.

"I'd say that went rather well," Uriah acknowledges, smug.

Eden isn't bothered, only glancing at her Ghost happily.

"Yes, I'd like to think it did. Remind me to ask for time off after this."

Her Ghost nods, feeling of happiness and delight flowing through their connection.

Eden smiles and grabs her new helmet, exiting the apartment.

"By the way," Uriah says, blinking his optic at her and tipping his shell forward, "Ava and Tayton sent a ping. Both have said something along the line of good luck. Even Quinn sent his regards."

Eden smiles.

"Tell them to be safe and that I hope their Light carries them home again."

Uriah chirps and beeps, sending the message. When he's done, he tips his shell to Eden and the duo makes their way down to the Hanger.

She loads up in her ship, making sure she has all her guns and heads toward Mars. When the jumpship is in the orbit of the red planet, Eden steers herself close to the Black Garden's gate before transmitting herself out and onto the cold, sandy surface of Mars.

"We'll need to be careful. We're walking through the dark here," Uriah urges.

Eden nods. With one breath in, she walks through the portal.