Chapter 6- Body

"Mitch Rowland's dead?!"

"As a doornail." Jaz confirmed during lunch break. She couldn't sip on her milkshake anymore. Everything felt morbid to her. "The cops found his body in his car, this morning."

"I thought he died while boning you." Soy commented.

"Nope. But it was the last thing he did." Jaz said, gravely. It would have been sort of cool if Mitch died, while she was screwing him. She'd always felt like Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct, especially now since she had blonde hair and all. And Mitch's death would have fit the movie in her head, perfectly.

"These nightclubs are getting creepier by the day. First that Joshua guy, now this." Tiff observed. She'd finally found a valid reason to stay home instead of going out and she wouldn't miss a chance to let everyone know that. "I'm not going out after this, please and thank you."

Nataly frowned. "How did he die?"

"It was a hit and run, supposedly." Jaz answered.

"Hope you made him use a condom." Soy finished her quesadilla. "We don't need any lingering spirits inside you."

Ruby couldn't hear it. It brought back painful memories of her mom's accident. "I gotta get to class."

Soy watched her leave. "It was just a joke!"

She could've just stuck to: DED.

Arthur returned home at 4 PM on Wednesday. By the end of his second class, he had started scrolling through Instagram. He always found it amusing how people faked their lifestyle on social media but forgot to block people who knew them in person.

The couch was empty and the living room was clean as a whistle, as he closed the front door behind him.

"Yo?" He called out. "Derek?"

Jackpot! Arthur immediately took out his cell and dialed Ruby's number. She had told him to give her a call after school so they could hook up. With his other hand, Arthur switched on the TV.

Would today be the day for him to finally get a blowjob while watching a basketball game?

He surfed through the channels, feeling like the main character, when he saw the local news. On the TV, was a picture of his friend Mitch.

"The Foxville murder tale takes an unexpected twist as twenty-six year old Mitch Rowland, a Nigerian immigrant is found dead in his own car."

Arthur hung up before Ruby could even answer.

"Rowland worked as an overnight bartender at Fizzle, the town's notoriously popular nightclub." Arthur watched Tom Hayes, Ruby's future brother-in-law report on TV. "The incident happened after midnight and is suspected to be a homicide. Sources tell that Rowland was blackmailing various people as a means of deriving money, which could be linked to Joshua Clark's mysterious murder. The authorities found a whopping amount of hundred thousand dollars stashed at Rowland's residence."

"Hey." Derek stepped out of his room. A pair of headphones dangled from his neck. "When'd you get home?"

Arthur turned off the TV. He was shocked. "Five minutes ago."

He realized with sadness that life was just a TV show about nothing.

Arthur
Text Message
Today, 4:15 PM

*Just saw the news. Mitch's dead*
*Gonna take a rain check on tonight*

Ruby had not responded to Arthur. That night, she had decided to visit Tao in hopes of getting some answers.