I know I am the last person that should be here, especially not only given the fact that the last time I was here, Vincent basically yelled at me, but also the fact that he most definitely did not ask me to come. He hadn't even mentioned his birthday was coming up, if this was even for him and not something he was hosting for someone else.

All I had wanted over the past two weeks was to see Vincent, speak to him, while simultaneously deciding he's the last person I wanted anything to do with for the health of my broken heart, but as I stood here in his living room, I decided on the latter. Here was the last place I wanted to be, and my heart that was attempting to escape my chest from how hard it was beating, couldn't agree more.

"Sebastian?" His name left my lips softly, my eyes still glued to all the people moving around the room, shooting to the new people that came piling out of the elevator with big, happy grins on their faces.

"Yes?" He asked, glancing down to me, hand still enclosed in my own and possibly the only thing keeping me upright at this moment.

"Whose birthday party is this?" I asked warily, finally looking up to him with eyes that I'm sure screamed my lack of excitement.

"De Bellis'" He clarified, looking down to me with a slight confusion swirling in his eyes. "Aren't you guys friends?"

I swallowed hard, tearing my gaze away from his and back to the bustling room as Vincent's words floated into my mind.

We aren't friends, or anything more.

He'd said it with so much disgust in that moment, and even though I'd been upset, I hadn't blamed him. I still don't. I understand why he was upset. If I was in his position, I would've been upset too but it didn't make the words hurt any less. It didn't make the pain dull when he didn't even try to reach out to me the two weeks following.

"I think they're about to start the toast," Sebastian's whisper pulled me out of my daze, and I glanced from him over to where he was staring.

There, smiling playfully as she pulled out a small step stool and climbed up onto it, holding her champagne flute into the air and gently tapping it with some silverware to gather everyone's attention, was Julia Kline.

"Are you and Julia a thing?" I'd asked, voice quite meek as I watched him closely. Instead of getting angry, he sighed, taking a sip of his drink before setting it on his thigh, hand still gripping the glass.

"Define a thing," he'd sighed again, running a hand through his wayward hair.

"Is she a sugar...baby?" I'd said the word with a fair amount of distaste since the title admittedly freaked me out a little bit.

He nodded.

"Yeah, she's in a financial agreement, just like you," he had admitted, leaning forward and placing his glass onto the coffee table before turning to face me more, just like I had him, one leg bent on the couch and an elbow resting on the back of it, hand supporting his head.

"Just like me?" I repeated, slightly surprised at this.

"Well," he'd bobbed his head from side to side. "Not exactly like you. We have intercourse and spend time together, not strictly the latter," he corrected himself, immediately making my eyes go wide.

The memory wasn't a welcome one, it was one that made a sour feeling curdle at the bottom of my stomach as I watched her gather everyone's attention. She was standing there, blonde hair in loose curls that fell down her back. She was wearing a white wrap dress with a plunging v-neckline that fell right above her knees. It complemented her tan nicely, go figure.

"Can I have everyone's attention, please?" She grinned, waiting for everyone to quiet down. When she finally caught the attention of each guest, she spoke again. "I wanted to thank you all for coming out tonight, as you may know, tonight was a long time in the making! I've been planning this thing for months, even if Vincent here was so begrudging about it," she teased, motioning towards her left with her hand that had the drink in it.

My gaze followed her motion to find Vincent leaning against the wall, arms crossed over his chest as he looked up at her with a playful glint in his eyes, a smile on his lips.

That was the moment my stomach sunk to the point of no return.

• • •

q: favorite animated movie character?

mine is sid the sloth for some reason lmao