44

chapter forty four
florence thompson
song: i'm fakin - sabrina carpenter

Two days after my date with Levi, I was due for my next dinner with Vincent. I was dreading it more than I could even put into words. Just like I had dreaded explaining to Aria why "my mother" had called me with an emergency during my date with Levi after he talked to her. I had proceeded to explain to her that she's a terrible judge of character and that I'd never show up to another date orchestrated by her, as much as I loved her.

It had turned into a funny inside joke between Rico and I though, he was constantly calling me mija now and it left everyone asides from us confused.

Needless to say, by the time that it hit six o'clock and I was rolling up to Vincent's apartment complex, I was a complete mix of so many different emotions. On one hand, I was so angry and upset, on another, I was completely and utterly terrified and not to mention the feeling of helplessness that accompanied it all.

My ride from the bottom floor to his penthouse was faster than it had ever felt, and it was surely due to the universe having it out for me recently.

When the ding went off and the doors slid open, I hadn't expected to immediately be met with Vincent De Bellis, but as I said, the universe hates me since he was stood there in all his handsome glory. He was in his usual white button up and black dress pants, he was in the middle of loosening his tie around his neck when I'd entered, tossing it onto his suit jacket that laid on the couch.

For how well put together he and his home always seemed, for some reason, the simple act of throwing his jacket onto his couch seemed wildly out of character.

When his gaze fell on me, his mismatched eyes lit up immediately and it made my heart beat quicker like the traitor it is. I could feel my cheeks warm, going against me just like every other part of my body right now.

"Florence," he breathed, approaching me quickly with his long strides.

When he got close enough, I could see the exhaustion he wore all over his face. It made my heart ache in my chest, reminding me of the night that he'd left me, he'd looked so worn out that night and it seemed as if nothing had changed in that time.

He didn't say anything else before he wrapped a strong arm against my waist, pulling me close to him and going to lean down towards me. I knew exactly where it was going, and before I could let my heart win over my mind, I turned my head, avoiding any contact.

He quickly caught onto what I was doing and hesitantly pulled back, hooking a gentle finger under my chin and pulling my face up to look at him.

He gazed over my face, looking for something, and it made me laugh mentally. If he had done this two days ago, he would've found all the answers he was looking for.

Too little, too late.

"What's wrong, Florence?" He asked softly, his voice alone making my stomach do somersaults.

"Nothing," I whispered, glancing back and forth between his mismatched eyes.

His thick brows pinched together in a look that told me he didn't believe me for a moment but instead of pressing the matter further, he stepped back and began guiding me towards the balcony where we'd been having our dinners.

He held out my chair for me, allowing me to slip into it before he rounded the table and sat in his usual spot. It was some fancy fish dish with all kinds of garnishes to make the meal look more pleasing. It did its job, but it wouldn't convince me that fish is appetizing, that's for sure.