Part 9

Steve stared at Keeler's shadowed figure as she stood in the doorway, blocking his only exit. "I mean, it has been awhile. The first day of school was a bit ago, wasn't it?" she said, her voice void of any feeling. Steve wouldn't voice it, but it sent shivers up his spine. He always thought the people with no emotions were dangerous. Nothing to feel meant nothing to hold someone back. The screen was shut off now, its footage replay done and spent. Out of all the people she could have run into in this whole entire facility... the bitch has to run into me, Steve thought dreadfully. And he could already tell how it was going to end. In a fight to the death. With HYDRA in the picture, there was no other way. They never let an enemy live for long if they had anything to say about it. But he wasn't here for a fight. He had priorities to take care of. And she was getting in the way, much to his dismay. "Where is my daughter Keeler?" Steve asked his face stern, conveying the seriousness of the situation. Steve watched as she took a step forward, but never stepping into the light. She directly avoided it, calculating her steps so not a single shred of light would hit her person. It was almost as if she was hiding something... "Now what fun would it be if I just told you?" she said smoothly with a dangerous aura in her voice. Steve's eyes stayed trained on her, not wanting to risk her attacking while he was distracted. "Then tell me, what the hell you did you do to her?" he asked her, his hand motioning to the cracked screen next to him. "Oh that... Well, as the footage entails, a colleague and I continued the experiment" she told him. "I know that. What happened after the footage went out?" he asked her, a nasty glare thrown at her. He couldn't tell if it scared her or not, not now she was fully facing him straight on. "What happened? What happened? Let me show you!" she exclaimed before she finally stepped into the light. As she said those words, he had expected to be greeted by the sight of a scarred face, maybe even some blood. But his breath hitched in his lungs as Keller become fully illuminated by the flickering light at the ceiling. "Oh my god..." Steve breathed in disbelief. The majority of her face was covered in dark green that reflected the light as if the skin were that a porcelain doll. It would have looked perfect if it wasn't severely cracked with large portions missing. Steve could see a small trail of blood seeping from a crack, letting him know just how deep the crack went. But the most unsettling part was her left eye. Or it was rather the fact there wasn't one. All that occupied it was in her eyes socket were serrated edges of emerald. It reminded him of the countless broken statues that he had seen after the attack of New York. All destroyed beyond repair. (Y/n) did that?, he thought. "Tell me, Mr. Rogers, did you really think that she was only a test subject? We created a weapon. One that has been regrettably compromised by the likes of you and I see now that there is no hope for her to return to us. After I take care of you and the other Avengers, that brat is next. Without the most powerful leading members, they'll fall apart, and the world is HYDRA's for the taking" Ms. Keeler told him, hissing out her words. "That's not happening. You seem to be sorely underestimating the abilities of my team. And I swear to god if you harm a single cell in her body, I'll send you to the very god I swear to" Steve told her, blue eyes blazing with fury. He could feel the anger within him growing hotter and hotter, causing his hands to shake at the amount of restraint it took to not strike her. "Sentimental words can't deny what she is! Do you honestly believe that she was normal to begin with? She had her powers long before we captured her! Whether she is from this earth or not, she is a monster!" she said. Something in Steve snapped. Like the past few hours of stress and worry had finally reached its limit, raging throughout his body as it boiled his blood. And that was how the first punch was thrown. Steve could feel the sting in his knuckles as it connected with her real shin rather than the emerald on the other side of her face. He watched as she staggered back, her feet steadily gaining the sense of ground it had lost. It was all a blur, and the next thing he knew, she was lunging him with a gleaming blade gripped tightly in her hand. If it wasn't for his enhanced speed and reflexes, Steve had no doubt that she would have struck a fierce blow. Thinking fast, Steve drew his shield up to his chest, successfully preventing the dagger from piercing him. The blonde man shoved his shield as hard as he could into Keller, his increased strength sending her crashing into the hallway. She was quick to get up, only to lose a bit more of her face. Steve watched as sparkling green dust fell from her face, evidence of a rough crash against the wall. She scowled at him, taking off down the hallways. Steve was quick to follow her, staying right on her tail, but giving her space in case of any traps she may be leading him into. While Steve had many advantages over her, such as age, size, and enhanced capabilities, she had something on him that he didn't. Knowledge of their terrain. Out of all the advancements that Tony had, holographic GPS and mapping were his favorite. It allowed him to see anywhere the enemy might hide, where they knew where to go. But now he had none of that. He was running aimlessly through the halls, vulnerable to any hiding place or trap the deadly HYDRA agent might be leading him into. The hallways were dark, but he could clearly hear her footsteps, acting as his path through the corridors. They echoed against the walls along with his. Then, they just stopped. He didn't know when, or for how long. It was just like they disappeared. He could physically feel goosebumps on rising on his arms. Then, he felt it. A feeling that can only be developed after years of fighting, missions, and having to survive. He didn't know where from, but he knew it... he was being watched. In a flash his shield was in hand, ready to strike at any second. His ears strained, picking up any and every sound it could pick up. It was silent, save for the drip drops of water from the tileless ceiling pipes, and scurrying of mice and rats on the cold concrete floor...