Chapter 31 The Wedding Day

A Grand Garden Wedding Held in a five Star Hotel in the City of Manila. What a wonderful day it was for an outdoor wedding: warm, but not terribly so. Sweet strains of classical music drifted through the crowd. Balloons and streamers fluttered around the railing and banisters, a festive mixture of pink, light blue, and white. The smell of fresh cut flowers filled the air, how perfect and lovely everything was.

The music stopped, and all heads turned to face the far end of the walk. The opening to the bridal chorus started to play. Down the aisle she came, Shantal Rodriguez together with her Father holding in her arm. She is so beautiful, she wore a strapless wedding gown with embroidery on her bodice. Rhinestones and pearl beads were sewn on her gown. She also wore a two-tier veil, with a matching crystal head-piece. She held a French rose silk bouquet. Her dad held her left arm and smiled at her as they reached the bottom step. Awaiting her at the altar is Brent who looks more dignified, stunning and handsome.

He wore a black, single-breasted, satin tuxedo with a white-wing collar shirt. He was so nervous and his knees begin to tremble. This is the most memorable day of his life. After the preaching, the priest commanded them to do their exchange vows. It was now time for the exchange of rings. An adorable little boy dressed in a blue tuxedo walked up and handed Brent a ring. He slipped it on Shantal's finger who seriously staring at him. The priest smiled and turned to Shantal. She repeated the process and received Brent handsome smile, he is looking at her beautiful face intently. Finally, she's now his wife.

Brent heard the priest telling that he could now kiss his bride. He wants to stop his breathing, people around them yelling and urging him to give a kiss to Shantal. He lowered down his head and touch her soft lips with a light kiss. " Pretend as much as you can, welcome to hell, Brent." He heard her wife whispering him those words. He pauses for a while trying to control his emotions. He ignored what she said and turned his attention to the crowd. They stopped near the end of the walk, forming the start of the receiving line. The family and guests filed down, pausing for hugs and kisses and congratulating the young couple. Shantal then turned around and threw her bouquet of rose silk flowers behind her. The women collided with each other as they tried to catch it.

They are heading now to the wedding reception area where guests followed to witness a short event prepared after their wedding ceremony. Pagdating nila sa lugar andoon na ang iba-ibang media outlet and national television network na mag-co- cover ng kasal nila. Masaya ang buong paligid. Napapalamutian ng maraming bulaklak at sa gitna ang dalawang upuan na nakalaan para sa kanila.

Sa isang sulok napansin kaagad ni Brent na nakatayo si Mike Chan, madilim ang mukha nito. Hindi nito nagawang pigilin ang kasal nila dahil sa higpit ng seguridad sa buong lugar. Ang mga malalapit na kaibigan at katrabaho ni Brent ay kaagad na lumapit sa kanila upang batiin sila. Sa kanang bahagi nandon ang malaking wedding cake na katabi naman nito ang mga regalong natanggap nila mula sa mga dumalo ng kasal.

Pasado alas diyes na ng gabi ng matapos ang selebrasyon ng kasal nila ni Shantal. Lahat ng mga regalo ay mabilis ng nailigpit ng mga tauhan nila at hinatid sa mansyon ng mga Rodriguez. Photo shoots done as well, maghapong nagpapanggap na ngumiti ni Shantal. Pareho pagod na ang pakiramdam nila. Nag-alisan na ang lahat ng bista matapos magpaalam sa mag-asawa. Lumapit ang ama ng dalaga matapos makipag-usap sa mga kaibigan nito na dumalo rin sa kasal nila.

"Indeed this is the most beautiful day of your life anak! Congratulations Shantal and Brent!" Niyakap sila nito pareho ng mahigpit.

"Of course Dad, I will not turn you down and I did my part in this game," she said matapos kumalas sa pagkakayakap ng ama.

"Aren't you happy? You are married to the most successful young businessman in this country". Nakangiting sabi nito at tumingin kay Brent na tahimik lang.

"Son, I should call you son, now Brent. I am so happy and at peace now that you accept all my plans. I am looking forward that you will love my daughter with all your heart and soul"

"Thanks, Uncle. I will do my best" He saw Shantal rolled her beautiful eyes.

"You call me Dad, not Uncle. I am your father in law now".

"Y-Yeah, D----Daddy Edward" he utters it forcefully because he felt shy and not use into it.

"Enough for this drama. All the guests have left. So, we can rest now. Pagod na ang pakiramdam ko. Dad, umuwi na tayo ng bahay." sabi ng asawa niya.

"Maiwan kayo dito sa hotel meron ng naka-reserved na room para sa inyong dalawa" sabi ng ama niya.

"No----we will go back home. If Brent wanted to stay here he can do it but I won't" nakasimangot ang mukha niya na nakatingin dito.

"Dad it's ok, we can cancel the reservation and then head back home. Shantal must be very tired" sagot naman ni Brent.

"Okay, I will respect your decision. You can spend your honeymoon the day after tomorrow". Sabi ng ama niya.

"Kailangan pa ba iyon Dad? Alam naman natin palabas lang lahat ng ito. Di paba kayo nagsasawang dalawa sa mga pinaggagawa ninyo? Kasi ako naiinis na, nag-usap na tayo na magpapakasal ako pero yung honeymoon na sinasabi ninyo di kasali. Makauwi na nga!" umalis na kaagad siya patungong mansyon.

Umiling na lamang si Edward habang tinatanaw ang anak na papalayo. Kibit-balikat naman ang sinagot ni Brent na muli niyang tiningnan ito. Naaawa siya rito dahil alam niyang mabait at maunawain ang binata. Humihingi siya ng paumanhin kay Brent. Tanging ngiti lamang ang sinukli nito sa kanya. 

Ngayong mag-asawa na sila may halong lungkot at pag-alinlangan sa puso ni Brent dahil ayaw niyang patulan ang lahat ng patutsada ni Shantal. Hangga't maaari gusto niya ng tahimik na pamumuhay, wala siyang ibang hiling sa Diyos kundi ang magkaroon sila ng maayos na pakikitungo sa isat-isa. He will work hard to make her fall in love to him.