Chapter 20

As soon as everyone in the tower woke up, they gathered in the common room to hear the next step in their mission to save the galaxy from the alien Thanos. There were a lot of nervous whispers as everyone waited for Tony to show up. Nobody knew anything about time travel, let alone that it was a real thing. Steve thought that time travel only existed in the science fiction movies that Bucky liked to watch. Eventually, the flustered billionaire stumbled out of his master bedroom with a smug doctor trailing after him. As soon as they walked in, everyone hushed and looked at them in anticipation and slight fear.

          "Alright, nerds, who's ready for some time travel?" Tony chuckled as everyone in the room turned a shade of pale green.

          "How is this going to work, exactly?" questioned a nervous Steve.

          "It's not as complicated as you may think. We have enough powder to take us to the destination in hand and get us back. It's very important that you don't screw this up or else you may end up stuck in the time zone you travel to. For you all, it will seem like hours that you're in the other time. For everyone that stays here, it will seem like mere seconds." Stephen explained to the team.

          "Steve, I don't like this," whispered Bucky to his boyfriend.

          "It'll be okay." Steve gave Bucky a reassuring smile and placed his hand on the small of his back.

          "I've pimped you all up with some special suits you'll wear during the jump." Tony ran off to grab the suits as everyone chuckled at the eccentric man.

Once everyone was suited up, they said their potential goodbyes to everyone that was staying behind. Of course, this wasn't an official goodbye, but they said it just in case. Nobody exactly knew what was going to happen during the jump, so it was nerve-racking for those involved and the loved ones staying behind.

          "You'll be okay, Buck. I love you 'till the end of the line." Steve smiled as he wiped a tear cascading down Bucky's cheek and pulled the man into an embrace.

          "Don't pull that end of the line bullshit right now, Steve. You'll be back in a few seconds. If you aren't I'll beat the shit out of you." Bucky deeply inhaled Steve's scent as they hugged and kissed him deeply when they pulled out of the embrace.

The group that was going all stood in a circle and held hands as they prepared for the time jump. They were all going different locations, but holding hands reduced the fear that they felt about the situation. 

Steve felt as if he was being ripped apart as he traveled through time. He could feel a burning and tingling sensation as the atoms in his body were being transported through time in space unlike what they were meant to do. His face contorted in pain and he felt the grasp he had on his friends slip away as they went to their differing locations.

When Steve could finally open his eyes, he saw the large mountain of Vormir in front of him. Everything around him was bare- no signs of life showed in this dusty, dread-filled landscape presented in front of him. The air was very humid, just perfect climbing weather. Luckily for Steve, he didn't get tired out easily, so he figured that the climb up the mountain would be fairly easy.

Boy, was Steve wrong. Several times up the mountain he had to stop to catch his breath or lean against the mountain for support. He figured that his age has finally caught up to him as he heaved his way up the mountain. For once, Steve wished he was Tony and could just use his fancy suit to fly up to the top. Despite his struggles, however, Steve eventually made it to the top of the mountain where he met his familiar red-faced enemy.

          "Johann." Steve hissed as he made eye contact with the deformed man.

          "You haven't heard? I go by Red Skull now. I bet you can't guess why." Red Skull snarled as he saw his enemy, "Why are you here, Captain?"

          "Give me the soul stone."

Red Skull let out a traumatizing laugh that sounded like what you would hear if you slaughtered an entire flock of chickens at the same time.

          "You idiot. In order to get the stone, you have to have a sacrifice. A soul for the soul stone." Red Skull flashed a gruesome smile at Steve.

Steve thought for a moment, and then devised a plan that would hopefully work.

          "Really? Say, if I was to bring someone up here, where would they have to jump off? Can you show me?"

          "Wow, you really are more of an idiot than I remember. You'd lead them over here to this ledge and they'd either have to be pushed off or ju-" Red Skull's sentence was cut off as Steve shoved the man off of the ledge that he was showing him.

As soon as he heard Red Skull hit the ground, the soul stone appeared in front of him. The pumpkin colored stone was beautiful. In the light, it appeared to be a small piece of candy that you could buy from the corner store or a tiny sun that had been cast upon the world. When Steve caught the stone in his hand, he threw it on the ground and stomped it into a billion tiny pieces. For good measure, he threw a grenade into the pile just to make sure that they were completely destroyed. Finally, Steve sighed and jumped back to the present.

Steve fought through the same pain that he felt during his first trip through time and space and finally landed back in the common room of the Avengers headquarters. He immediately ran over to the trashcan to vomit and was engulfed in a hug from the soldier that he promised he'd return to.

          "You're back." Bucky smiled and pecked his lover on the cheek.

          I'm going to marry this man Steve thought.