شیربانو - ۴

Start from the beginning

"Come beta we-"

His words were cut short by his sons.

Ali looked from Sherbano's direction to Zaryab's and smiled smugly, his eyes wide as he brought his index finger and thumb to his mouth and an exaggerated series of loud whistles escaped from him whereas Sheheryar's teasing voice echoed

"Oh ho ho? Bhaaabhi ayi haaiiinnn?" Shehryar's tone was full of amusement, a sparkle of mischief glistening in his eyes.

(My sister in law has coomeee?)

Ahmed Khan and Zaryab Khan both glared at the two younger siblings and Farhat slapped Sheheryar on the back of his head before speaking,

"Don't mind him beta, always playing around. Ajao, we were waiting for you both, come sit."

(Come)

Sheherbano, despite the deep blush, smiled shyly and contemplated where to sit.

At the head of the dining table sat Ahmed Khan, the three chairs on his right occupied by his wife and younger sons, whereas the first chair on his left was occupied by Zaryab, and the two chairs left next to him were empty.

She moved to sit at the other end when a voice interrupted her,

"Soch lain bhabhi, agar aap Bhai ke saath nahi bethi tou wo bura maan jayengay." Sheheryar teased

(Think about it sister in law, if you don't sit next to my brother he'll feel bad and disappointed)

Sherbano flushed a deeper red,

'Maybe he's right, I don't want Zaryab to be mad or disappointed in me'

So she moved back to pull out the chair next to Zaryab and Sheheryar chuckled lowly as she settled on the seat, Ayla sitting next to her.

This time, Ali was the one to slap him upside the head as he whispered

"Abey oye, Bhabhi ko tangg na kar, you'll intimidate her, pehle hi Maasoom si hain"

(Oh loser, don't annoy our sister in law, you'll intimidate her, she's already so innocent)

"Oh shit, sahi bol raha hai, we'll make it up to her ruk" Sheheryar whispered back.

(Oh shit, you're right, we'll make it up to her just wait)

The two were whispering so loud that even though they didn't realise, everyone in the silent dining room could hear them. By this time, Zaryab already had his head in his hands in embarrassment.

Ahmed Khan shook his head at his children's antics before addressing Sherbano,

"Beta, they're just teasing you, don't worry. Make yourself comfortable, you too Ayla beta, come on now let's eat."

(Child)

The rest of the dinner went by smoothly, small talk was made by Farhat and Ahmed, Ali and Sheheryar seemed to engage in light conversation with Ayla. Zaryab and Sherbano however, silently ate their food.

~

After dinner, the family shifted into the living room.

Sheheryar, Ayla and Ali were on the carpet playing Ludo. Zaryab and his father were engaged in a conversation -most likely about business. Farhat and Sherbano spoke softly until Farhat excused herself to use the restroom.

Sherbano sat alone, cuddled up into the arm of the sofa as she played with the ring on her finger.

Sheheryar whispered into Ali's ear,