Chapter 5

The next day was the same as any other. I got out of bed, arrived in the wash room, and sunk into my tub to bathe. As I soaked my mind once again reminisced about what occurred a few hours before.

Anne came up to me curiously as I laid in the water.

"Princess, you have not once asked for your letter from Ayo. Usually you read them again and again until he sends you another." Anne reminded me. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything is blissful." I reassured her. Instead, I was reliving another kind of love letter... one of my mind. Thinking about the touch of Nicholaus Medini on my skin. Wishing that somehow it could happen again. I looked down at my legs that seemed warped under the glimmering water. Taking a sponge from a maid, I began to scrub away my lust for Nicholaus.

The ladies and I went outside around noon. I insisted on going to the palace's archery range. This was where men usually gathered to outshine one another.

"But Princess, you say you hate the archery range." Lantana told me. "You were forced to learn from when you were a child. Now suddenly you are visiting on your own accord?"

"We will shoot arrows." I insisted as we arrived in the open field. It was surrounded by opulent pillars and cloisters. People walking along the corridor of the cloisters hurried along, not wanting an arrow to suddenly make them a target. The men stood in the sun chatting away, they all wore flowing white blouses that had frills on the wrists of the sleeves.

I looked around the area, but didn't find what I was looking for. My heart sank, I'd gotten my hopes up for nothing. I decided I'd shoot a few arrows anyway, I had already arrived. Picking up a bow, I loaded my arrow and looked carefully at my target. My fingers gripped the arrow carefully, I was ready to release.

And then I heard a voice.

"Your Highness." The most delicious and familiar voice spoke. My nerves were so strained, I let go of the arrow and it shot onto the side of the palace. A poor gargoyle lost an eye. I was embarrassed by my accident, then turned toward the speaker.

"Nicholaus." I acknowledged him, then I held out my hand. He bowed and left a kiss on it, then stood up straight with his hands behind his back.

"If you do not mind, I can teach you how to shoot." Nicholaus offered. I didn't need anyone to teach me how to shoot. I'd learned all of my life how to protect myself in the event something should happen. I could properly shoot him right between the eyes at the longest distance possible.

But my heart spoke for me. "Sure. I know not about these arrows."

Nicholaus chuckled then stepped closer to me. "If you do not mind, I will need to come in contact with your lovely figure. Is that okay with you?" He asked as he opened the palm of his hands, reaching them toward me.

"It is absolutely okay. Anything to learn, I'm always learning." I cleared my throat then turned toward the target. Nicholaus' arms went about me and helped me hold the bow. He got an arrow and helped me latch it on.

"Now, make sure your elbow is straight, and your hand is level with your eye." He instructed. My heart pounded as his hand touched my waist. My chest rose and fell in my tight dress. My senses were numbed in his presence. His hands brushed over mine as he instructed. I shut my eyes as I inhaled his scent.

"Are you ready, Princess?" He asked as he stepped back. With a nod, I let go of the arrow.

It made it perfectly in the center of the target.

"You are a natural." He admired with a smile. "I've never seen a beginner shoot so well."

"Maybe it's just one of my many gifts." I smiled. As I glimpsed over to my ladies in waiting, I noticed they were all staring at me. They were shocked that I was pretending not to know how to shoot. My arrogance would not allow such embarrassment. I waved them away, dismissing them. They all slowly began to walk away, looking over their shoulders as they wondered what was wrong.

Thérésa stopped and faced Nicholaus and I, her hands clasped in front of her corseted waist. Then she continued on with the other girls.

"You surely do have many gifts. Magnificenza. Belleza. Intelligenzaz." He went on with a smile. I didn't understand one word, but I knew what he was saying were the sweetest of words. "...all I can think about was last night."

Under my dress I felt a warmth once again returning. I could imagine us being woven together in bed more than we were before. My lust was interrupted by the voice of our herald.

"Here ye, here ye!" The herald boomed. "Prince Ayo Ade of Anyim!"

My heart sunk at the name. Ayo had now arrived in Zanzu. No longer could I fulfill my fantasies of Nicholaus. My responsibility would now be entertaining Ayo. When I set eyes on him, all of the love I'd once known rushed back to me. I was reminded of all of the nights under the stars Ayo and I spend together.

"My Princess." Ayo smiled as he came over. His smile was the brightest I'd ever seen. He pressed his brown cheek to mine and left a kiss. My legs went weak for a moment. "I have finally arrived!"

"I hardly was expecting you!" I said nervously. He furrowed his eyebrows as his hands were placed on my shoulders.

"Did you not receive my letter?" He asked of me. "That's strange..."

"The letter! Oh yes, I must have misread it." I told him. Ayo looked beside me and saw Nicholaus facing us. One was not permitted to leave the presence of a royal unless dismissed. There Nicholaus stood, awkwardly wanting to leave.

"Who is this?" Ayo asked out of curiosity. He didn't seem to truly care very much who he was. Ayo was a Prince after all, Nicholaus was just...

"This is Duke Nicholaus Medini of... which part of Italy?" I asked Nicholaus.

"Sicily." He answered, then pursed his lips together. He bowed to Ayo. "It is an honor to be in your presence."

"Italy. I have heard of that fat place. Very nice art." Ayo complimented.

"Duke Medini is an artist." I informed Ayo with a smile. "Well, he has brought many amazing pieces to court for us to keep!"

"How generous of you. A common artist regarded as Duke. They must do things differently in Italy." Ayo said nonchalantly. To you, it may seem that he was being rude. Ayo didn't realize how his words sounded at times.

"I am very high at Italian court. That is why I was able to travel here." He informed Ayo. "It has been great being in your presence, Prince." Nicholaus looked to me.

"You may leave—" I began but Ayo began to speak.

"You must show me this art that has brought you to be so respected, then." Ayo spoke up.

"Never mind about that..." I began.

"I insist! Seeing pleasing aesthetics should great for you and I now that we are reunited." Ayo smiled as he brushed my cheek. "Anything for my betrothed."

"Betrothed?" Nicholaus asked with risen eyebrows. Then, he looked to me. "You are to be married?"

"How forward this one is." Ayo said out of curiosity. "A brave man indeed. Now show us to where you are storing your art."

Nicholaus looked to me and I to him. He wondered whether or not he should go through with this, but of course, he had to comply. "Follow me."