~Chapter 12~

"(Y/n)..."

You heard a voice, it was distant and muffled to the point where you couldn't recognize it, but it was there. You couldn't move, think, or even breathe. You were just... still.

"(Y/n)..."

It sounded again, this time just a little louder than before. You could feel warmth all around your body, like you were in some sort of cocoon. You flinched ever so slightly, suddenly feeling yourself breathe in. You tried to move, but it was like your body was frozen in place. Then, you heard a different voice, one you'd hoped you'd never hear again. The words it spoke echoed in your head as if it were speaking inside a cave.

"(Y/n)... foolish little (Y/n)... do you honestly believe you can save them?"

"Save who..?" You thought, almost unknowingly. You were finally starting to snap out of it. You tried to force your eyes open, but to no avail. It was as if they'd been glued shut.

"You cling to what little comfort you can find to help ignore the thought of your past, wishing you could make your temporary escape last forever. But, once you've lost this little 'gift' of yours, your rash and careless nature will cause you to meet a fate worse than death. You'll wish you'd died while you still had the chance." The voice continued, ignoring your words like it usually would.

While you tried to comprehend what it said you began to feel something wrap and tighten around your legs, slowly slithering its way up your torso and arms. You tried to struggle, but your body was still motionless. You could feel your heart pounding in your chest as terror enveloped you, and you started mentally screaming at yourself to wake up.

"Wake up, wake up, wake up!!"

"There's no point in fighting any longer, child. You're simply too drained. Your lack of slumber has left you exhausted." The voice almost sounded pleased.

"Why are you doing this to me?!" You shouted in your head, hoping this monster would at least tell you its reasons.

"...You're trying to take what is mine. I must stop you before you can." It actually answered for once, sounding rather angry now.

'Take what is his'..? What does that mean?

You were now even more confused than before, but you attempted to break free from the mysterious hold once more as you felt it creeping up your chest.

"Help!!" You mentally yelled, though part of you knew it was hopeless. The only way to escape this madness was to wake up, but the voice was right, you must be too tired...

The voice began to laugh maliciously, and you felt a strange substance you couldn't identify covering your mouth and face. You held your breath, realizing what was really happening.

Whatever this thing was, it was trying to suffocate you.

You tried your hardest to move even just the slightest bit to break free, but it was no use. You started to feel the urge to let the air out, needing fresh oxygen to take its place, but you tried to resist for as long as possible.

"Just give in. Die." The voice sounded impatient.

"No..!!" You responded, still trying to get loose. You weren't sure why you were even trying, considering this was a nightmare--or at least you hoped it was, but something inside you begged to keep resisting.

The urge to breathe out became stronger as the odd substance began to squeeze you, gently at first, then quickly tightening as if it were trying to pop you like a balloon. You wanted to scream, you wanted to beg for someone, anyone to wake you up, but you knew no one could hear you except the sadistic voice that started all of this.