Chapter Ten

Blake must have been some kind of evil mind-reading wizard. That was the only logical explanation for why he knew what my favorite activity was.

Besides track, my favorite thing to do was to go-cart. I barely ever got to do it, as it was a special occasion type of activity, but it was so much fun.

Slamming into other people relentlessly and then eventually beating them in a competition? That was my shit.

"I don't trust you," I said.

Blake raised his eyebrows. "Whoa, wait until the second date before you sweet talk me like that."

"How did you know?"

"Dude, you're getting all weird and cryptic again. How did I know what?" he asked.

I watched a bunch of people of all ages flying around the track in their cars. I was smiling before I could help myself. It just looked like so much fun.

"That I like go-cart racing," I said, hearing my voice drop to a whisper. It was kind of like I was reluctant to admit defeat.

Good thing Blake was obnoxious, though. He leaned in, tapped his ear, and went, "Huh?! Dude, what did you say?"

I gritted my teeth. "Mediocre date idea, snake."

"Ooh we've shortened Blake the snake to just snake now?" He gave me that toothy, happy smile and nudged me. "I'm starting to think you're sweet on me."

I used to think that smile was fake. Now I thought it was cute. There was only one reasonable explanation.

Blake had poisoned me.

"Blake, did you poison me?" I asked. "That's the only logical explanation for why I think you have a nice smile now."

To my complete and utter shock, Blake actually stopped in his tracks and stared at me, eyes wide and a blush on his cheeks. He looked so un-Blake-like in that moment. Not one ounce of confidence in him.

"...You like my smile?"

I should not have admitted that. But I'd come too far to turn back, so I nodded. "Wasn't it just yesterday that you said you're my type? You were confident then."

"Yeah, but, I don't know." He scowled. "That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

"Oh. I take it back then."

"You can't, no takesies-backsies," Blake yelped desperately. "You complimented me! Ha, that is so unnatural."

Definitely poison. This was not a likable boy.

I glanced at him and really observed. He was wearing a t-shirt with a cartoon skateboarder on it, even though I'd never seen him skateboard. More khaki joggers, except this time they were pulled up on his calfs a little to expose his tall socks that were covered in little pizzas. And he was wearing Vans.

I hated his fashion. I should've hated him.

But for whatever psychotic reason, I didn't.

"Fine, I guess I did compliment you," I admitted reluctantly. "Now that I know you're a scared and closeted bisexual it's hard to tote you as a homophobe."

Blake grabbed my arm and leaned in close. "Shhhh!" He said obnoxiously. His eyes darted frantically to the guy who was overlooking the go-carting course. "People don't, like, know that, dude."

The guy looked our way and Blake ripped his hand away from my arm.

"Aren't you on a date with a guy right now?" I grumbled. "Not that I care if it isn't a date. But I thought it was."

"It is!"

"Then why is it somewhere so public? If you were so worried about what people would think, why didn't you plan to take me somewhere were we were alone?"

Blake's eyes narrowed. "Are you coming onto me? Trying to get me alone? C'mon man, I don't put out that fast."

He was ridiculous. Still, I could feel my face getting hot at the idea of...no. I couldn't even go there. This was Blake.

"No," I sputtered. "I was not. I was noting a flaw in your logic."

He put his hands on his hips. I learned then that green eyes could really pack a hell of a bitchy look. "Only you could come onto someone and make it seem like you're actually being rude."

I sputtered some more. "I'm not trying to...offend your virtue."

Blake froze. Then he made a weird choking noise, then he burst into laughter. I stared as he nearly doubled over. His laughing fit faded to giggles, and when he managed to stand straight once again I noticed tears in his eyes. "Dude. I was fucking with you. Please stop talking about my virtue."

I'd never been on a date before, but I'd seen enough movies to know that this was not how they were supposed to go. I was not supposed to be fucked with on a date. This was a bad idea.

"I'm leaving," I decided.

"No!" Blake yelped. He reached out grabbed my arm and I made the mistake of looking back at him.

His eyes were wide with worry and his kissable mouth was partially open with surprise. Jeez, who decided to make someone who was so stupid, also so attractive? The sun was turning his hair to gold at the ends, where it was also curling and frizzing.

"Hey, don't leave." Blake's voice was a tad bit frantic. "Gosh, you're uptight. Sorry! Didn't mean to piss you off. I was only kidding, I know you'd never come onto me. Um. You're not going to leave, right?"

I wiggled the arm that he was holding in a vice grip. "It doesn't seem like I can."

He let me go.

He was looking at me with this nervous expression and he started absent-mindedly nibbling on a hang nail. I felt a little bad for making him feel so uncertain.

I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Um. Sorry. I don't like being teased."

"You don't like anything, man."

I glared.

"Sorry! Sorry. Jk. I mean, I'm just kidding. Sorry, you're making me nervous. Stop looking at me like that." His laughter was awkward and goat-like, which was not charming whatsoever. However, I'd built Blake Beckson up over the years into being this straight, macho asshole that I'd clearly forgotten how awkward and nervous he was.

I kind of liked nervous and awkward Blake.

I relented. "Fine, I'll stop glaring. I'm not even mad anyway. Let's go have fun." I held out my hand as a peacemaker. Then I remembered that Blake was in the closet and awkwardly pulled it back.

Blake set his shoulders and took a deep breath. "No, it's okay." He grabbed my hand and laced our fingers together. When he looked back up at me, a little bit of his confidence had come back. "Who cares who sees, right? I'm allowed to hold a guy's hand. Screw it."

I smiled and squeezed his hand. It fit perfectly in mine. As much as I hated to admit it, it felt kind of okay. "Screw it."