003

iii. hold my breath and sit and wait!

tia swirled the whipped cream at the bottom of the glass with the translucent straw. she gazed outside at the star filled sky with tears flowing down her cheeks. today was saturday, august twenty seventh, her brother jordan's birthday.

usually on this memorable day they would go to the skating rink on 15th street downtown. it would be just tia, jordan, and their mom eating the skating rink pizza and having brownies instead of cake because jordan hated cake. tia and their mom would hold hands and sing the old rnb music that would blast from the old speakers. jordan and tia would race although tia would always win because she's fast on her feet and even faster on skates. jordan always made sure he spent his birthday with his family instead of friends and that's why today was so important.

a couple of days before, steve and the blue eyed twins were talking about a little retro diner called snazzies so she was excited when she stumbled upon it.

snazzies was an eighties centric diner that specialized in hamburgers and fries and their malts. oh god, was tia becoming obsessed with the malts. she discovered the excentric place earlier while taking a late evening walk to escape from the sad reality of missing her big brother. what caught her eye was the large red sign that read snazzies and the colorful fairy lights that reflected beautifully in the sun.

it was so eye catching she decided she'd scope it out to distract her from the melancholy feelings. it had been an hour since she'd been at the small restaurant and the sun was starting to set revealing it was now night. she spent some time reading the plaques that explained what the place was like back in the eighties. there were pictures of black panthers with their afros and leather jackets all sharing large plates of food. there were also photos of traveling immigrant families who were new to america and wanted whatever was closest. that reminded herself of her family who moved to america when she was only a couple months old from egypt.

when she finished looking around at the thirty-ish year old monuments she sat down in the cream colored seats towards the back of the diner she was starting to love. the tables had a white and red checkered table cloth and there was a humongous window on her left side. the view was breath taking. it showed the stars and moon that shone brightly which made tia a bit happy. she had always admired views and it made her mood a little less somber.

it had been five minutes at least and she was wondering when her waiter or waitress would come. she peeked over from the large cream colored seats to see if anyone was coming and tia saw who she least expected to see. it was the notorious jimin.

it'd been two weeks since the first day of school and they had shared minimal conversations. since the note that they swapped that gave her a hint to kindly back off and tia took it. one of her mother's wise words were if a boy is trying to tell you to get away, he means it. like the obedient child she was, she listened to the old advice. but, as much as tia hoped it wasn't, it was hard to stay away. tia had a wondering mind and in her spare time she would ponder of what was he thinking about when they held moments of eye contact during dismissals. why was he so quiet and why did he always speak like something was stopping him?

jimin stopped abruptly in front of tia's table running his hands through his newly dyed honey colored hair. he was dressed in a black collared shirt and had a name tag that said jimin in sparkly cursive red font that matched the sign's. he was wearing black pants and to match those dirty black high top vans. he glanced at tia and gave her a small smile as if they weren't avoiding each other on campus.