Chapter Two: I Hate The Smell of Hospital Blankets

When I had finally awoke I felt like I was tied to an anchor. My eyes fluttered open to meet a blinding light that made me shut them once more. A groan slipped past my lips. I must be at a hospital... I heard murmured voices around me and the scuffling of multiple feet, throbbing my head even more than it had been already.

"W-what's going on?" I finally opened my eyes to see a nurse staring back down at me wearing a blue nurses outfit.

"Don't worry." She smiled as she tucked her brown hair behind her ear. "You're at a hospital. An old lady brought you by. In fact," She picked up some papers beside the bed and looked through the files. "You seem to healing nicely. You can probably leave today. I'll go and consult the doctor." She started to make her way back to the door and even though she couldn't see me I nodded, then remembered who I had been with.

"Wait!" The nurse turned and looked back at me curiously. "W-wheres Akio?" I breathed out. "Did he call my parents?"

The nurse raised an eyebrow at this. "Akio? Oh, that boy with red hair! Yes, he is in the waiting room with your parents. I can bring them in if you want."

"Thank you."

I watched the nurse leave through the door and adjusted myself on the bed so I was sitting up. I closed my eyes and groaned. "They're gonna kill me."

My left arm was sore as it was attached to an IV bag and my hands were wrapped in bandages because of the fire. I reached towards my pounding head and felt bandages wrapped around there too. "I'm such a dumb-ass aren't I?" I chuckled lightly.

"Yes, you are you little brat! Do you know how worried we were?" I turned my head toward the doorway to see not only my parents scowling at me but also Akio. "You shouldn't have done that, we were so scared." My mom came up to me and hugged me. "You forget that you can't do things that most people can. You don't rush into danger (Y\N). You have to play it safe." I flinched under her touch.

Play it safe. Why can't they see that I'm not weak? I saved someone for crying out loud!

"I'm sorry mom...I won't do it again, promise. I'm sorry I made you guys worry about me."

My dad spoke up. "The world is a dangerous place and anything could happen. You're lucky you only have minor injuries. Hell, it doesn't help the fact that no one came to help you or keep you safe." His voice snarled at the end of the sentence and Akio who had been quiet this whole time hitched his breath.

"We'll go and talk to the doctors about your release forms so you guys can talk," My mom grabbed my dad's arm but he didn't move.

"They can talk in front of us. I'm not leaving them alone together."

I rolled my eyes and my mom whispered something in his ear that made him frown. "Fine."

The two of them left Akio and I in silence. It was a few minutes until I spoke up. "You think I'll be able to pity the teachers into not giving me homework while I'm injured?" I laughed breathlessly but was met once again with silence.

Akio was facing the ground, his red hair hid his face and beautiful amber eyes. His hands were in his pockets and he was wearing his black sweater that I always loved to see him in. It was simple but looked good on him. It was only when I looked closely at his face that I realized he was crying.

"How can you joke about that?" His voice cracked. "You were hurt... And it was my fault. I-I couldn't save you in time. I'm supposed to watch over you." He looked up at me with flushed cheeks and tears streaming down his face.

He pulled at his hair in frustration. "Dammit! I'm so sorry. Please forgive me, I'm so sorry! I-I-I'm-" He hiccuped and I ran up to him and pulled him into my arms.

He wrapped his arms around me and my heart felt like it was about to jump out of my chest. "Kio, listen. None of this was your fault. I chose to run into that fire. It was my decision and I would make it a thousand times because I was able to save that baby and that woman."

I let go of him and looked into his eyes. "I'm not weak and I don't need you to watch over me. You're not responsible for any of this. Blame the villains who chose to terrorize innocent civilians." I paused, taking a step back. Akio wiped his tears away and smiled. God bless his smile.

"Thanks for that, but you know I won't ever stop worrying about you."He chuckled and I felt the butterflies in my stomach go crazy. I knew I was blushing but I didn't care.

"Akio, I-"

He ruffled my hair and made it messy. "My big brother instincts just kick in when you're in danger ya know?"

I froze.

I was literally frozen.

I couldn't move my head to look up at him and my arms stayed at my side.

What the actual fuck?

"W-what're you talking about?" I laughed it off, asking the question I would hate myself for asking for the rest of my life.

"Well I see you as my little sister ya know?" He rubbed his nape. "You know I'm an only child so I don't really know how to do the big brother stuff but...I care about you."

Dammit why does he have to be so-so-so him, I can't even be mad at the bastard!

My throat felt like it was on fire as I held back the tears that threatened to flow. "Don't worry Akio, you're doing pretty well if you ask me." I tried to laugh and sat back on the bed.

"Oh right! You must be tired, sorry. I'll just meet back up with your parents while you rest okay?"

"Okay."

Akio looked back at me before he left and I flashed him a smile in which he returned. As soon as he shut the door I curled up into a ball on the bed, cuddling with the hospital blanket that wreaked of linen and death. It was fitting for an occasion such as the one I was in, for I cried myself back to sleep, mourning a relationship that had never existed.

(1113 Words)