Chapter Twenty-Four

The North

  The winds of the north stream through a breach in the Wall. Donner can only watch as the entirety of the Army of the Dead pours through the breach. Among the hundreds of foot soldiers are giants, mammoths, and direwolves. White Walkers ride among the ranks on dead horses.

  Overhead, Balerion circles like a vulture with the Night King mounted on his back. Balerion let's out a chilling screech that echoes out across the realms of men.

  Donner shot up from the bed he had been sleeping in. He looks to his right to see Daenerys still sleeping peacefully. Donner gets out of bed and shirts on a shirt before walking above deck.

  As soon as he steps outside, he can feel the chill of winter. Snow falls from the sky as he makes his way to the front of the boat so he can see. In the distance, he could see the familiar sight of White Harbor.

  The same door opened behind him and Alice wandered outside, “We're going home, girl.” He said, his eyes never leaving the sea in front of him.

  Though the direwolf couldn't speak, somehow Donner knew she could understand him. She moved to stand on her hind legs, balancing herself using the half wall, “I should go back to sleep, but I had an awful dream. It seemed so real.”

  The direwolf only stared out at the sea as he had, “I'm talking to a wolf. Great. Just great. Might as well marry a rock while I’m at it.” Donner sighed before walking back inside the ship below deck.

  A young boy runs through a snowy forest. He crosses a shallow stream and runs through the streets of Winterfell. As he runs through the town, pigs squeal and donkeys best. He reaches the street and stands among a large crowd, struggling to see what's happening on the road ahead.

  A tall man looks back to see the boy struggling to see and steps aside. The boy pushes forward. Above the boy, Arya Stark stands, smiling as she watches him run through the crowd remembering when Robert Baratheon visited Winterfell years ago.

  A large army is marching along the road and the boy continues to run alongside them until he finds a tree and climbs up it to get a better view. An army of Unsullied soldiers marches along the road up to Winterfell. A man's shout can be heard and the boy turns to face the rear of the army.

Daenerys rides a snow white horse leading the army. To her left slightly ahead is Jon Snow. To her right is Donner. He wears a winter cloak that bears the direwolf sigil of his house.

  Arya looks at her older brothers with a rare smile. She starts to speak but seems to be at a loss for words as they ride by. Many people of the town stare at the troops marching through. Sandor Clegane is on his own horse as he rides with the army. Arya sees him but says nothing. Gendry rides a few paces behind him on a horse. Arya looks at him and a mile a as he rides past.

  As the army continues to march, Missandei and Grey Worm ride alongside each other. Villagers stare at them disapprovingly. People also stare at Donner, Jon, and Daenerys as they pass. Donner leans over to speak with Daenerys, “As I said before. Northerners are fans of southerners. Or outsiders in general.”

  A dragon roars and the villagers look up at the sky in fear. People start clamoring about as four dragons fly through the sky. Drogon leading them, followed by Rhaegal and Viserion, and lastly Robb. Arya emerges from the crowd smiling as she watches the dragons fly towards Winterfell.

  The army of Unsullied soldier marched until they reached the gates of Winterfell. Donner, Jon, and Daenerys ride into Winterfell towards a crowd of people standing within. Bran Stark sits at the front of the crowd. Donner looks the man up and down seeing how much he had changed. His once long hair was now short and he had a blanket that covered his legs from the cold. Jon makes his reunion with Bran first. Jon walks up to Bran and kisses him on the forehead, “Look at you. You're almost a man.”