Chapter Twenty-One

Wights and Rumors

  Donner had begun to walk away before he was called back by Daenerys, “At the loot train attack. So many people died.”

  “Did you execute anyone?” Donner asked, his back still facing away.

  He could hear her light footsteps as she walked closer to him, “I had full right to do so. I remembered who my father was. I don't want to be my father.”

  “Did you.”

  Daenerys turned him around to face her, “Randyll Tarly and Dickon Tarly. The only two men that refused to kneel in surrender. They will be serving a life sentence on the Wall once I am queen.”

  As bad as the Wall was, it was better than death, “I don't want you to become your father. I just want the queen who cares for her people. I just want Dany.”

  Donner pulled her in for a hug, “Will you finish the story?” She asked.

  It took him a minute to remember the story, “Once you sit on the Iron Throne, I will finish your story.”

  “When I do become Queen of the Seven Kingdoms I'll need a partner. Do you know anyone who was from the North and used to have long hair? Preferably someone who owns a direwolf and hatched an ice dragon.” Daenerys asked once they pulled apart.

  Donner stared at her with a blank face before a smile crept across it, “First. When did you get a sense of humor? Second. I thought I pissed you off earlier. Third. Is that some kind of proposal? Fourth. I really pissed you off.”

  “Do you want it to be a proposal?”

  Daenerys and Varys are seated at the Painted Table while Tyrion and Jorah stand near their queen. Donner stands next to Poka on the long side between them. Ser Davos and Jon stand on the other end of the table. Jon holds a raven scroll and reads it aloud, “I thought Arya was dead. I thought Bran was dead.”

  Somewhere inside, Donner had always known Arya and Bran were still alive. It must've had something to do with Poka, “I'm happy for you. You don't look happy.” Daenerys said

  Jon sets the letter down in the edge of the stone table, “Bran saw the Night King and his army marching towards Eastwatch. If they make it past the wall --”

  “The Wall has kept them out for thousands of years. Presumably --”

  Jon interrupts Varys, “I need to go home.”

  “You said you don't have enough men.” Daenerys said, remembering the conversation they had previously.

  “We'll fight with the men we have. Unless you'll join us.” Jon said.

  Daenerys scoffed and said, “And give the country to Cersei? As soon as I march away she marches in.”

  “Perhaps not, ” Tyrion began from his seat next to Daenerys, “Cersei thinks the Army of the Dead is nothing but a story made up by wet nurses to frighten children. What if we prove her wrong?”

  “I don't think she'll come to see the dead at my invitation,” Jon said.

  Tyrion stands up and begins walking around the table closer to Jon, “So bring the dead to her.” He said simply.

  Donner let out a sigh, “You’re proposing we bring an army of wights to King's Landing?”

  The man shook his head, “We don't have to bring the whole army. Only one soldier.”