Chapter Six

The Queen of Dragons

  Donner occasionally found himself glancing in her direction. Not purposely, it seemed he was just drawn to her in ways that confused him. To keep himself focused, he would quietly call for Poka, but received no answer, “Donner of house Stark. A strange name for a strange man.”

  He saw Daenerys had fallen back a few paces to talk to him, “You didn't hear me talking to myself?” He asked.

  “I did. I have no need to ask why. I will again ask why you left Westeros.” In reality, he should've been more prepared for that question. He didn't need Poka to pop in and answer for him again.

  “It's a long story. Not one I want to relive. I can tell you that my country that should've taken a week lasted three months.” He said, changing the subject which didn't go unnoticed by Daenerys, “So, your Grace. Has a nice ring to it.”

  “My dream is to take back the Iron Throne. It has belonged to my family for centuries.” She said.

  Donner pulled out a piece of salted meat, ripping part of it off and throwing it towards Alice who caught it, “I believe you will be a great Queen. Much better than previous rulers.”

  Donner could honestly say he hated salted meat and dried squid. Anyone who ate it out if free will was mad, “Why do you think that?”

  He shrugged, speaking words that would most likely get him killed, “Well for one, you're not the Mad King. No offense, but of course all offense because he killed my grandfather and uncle. Secondly, you haven't killed me yet, so you've got that going for you.”

  “Are you not fearful? I have an army at my fingertips. I have you killed at any moment.” she asked.

  “A good ruler doesn't use fear to keep everyone in order. You should learn a lesson from your father.” Donner said as he dropped another piece on the ground for Alice to eat.

  “You talk as if you want to protect me two weeks ago. Today you're talking as if we're enemies. Why?”

  Donner thought back to his conversation with Arya. She wanted to meet the last Targaryen. He wondered if she was okay, “I may swear to join your Queensguard if you'll have me, but that is to make sure you don't die before you even step foot in Westeros. You seem to forget about our family history. You see, we've got many mistakes to resolve.”

  Seeing that she would get no further in a conversation with Donner, she moved back to her position in the front of the caravan. The Unsullied and Dothraki march across the landscape, “These are the ones?” She asked Missandei.

  “Yes, Khaleesi. The officers.” the translator answered.

  A score of Unsullied march and halt in front of them, “You did not choose this life. But you are free men now. And free men make their own choices. Have you selected your own leader from amongst your ranks?” The wave of Unsullied part, revealing their chosen leader, “Remove your helmet.”

  Donner watches as the man removed his helmet, took a few steps forward and bowed, “This one has the honor.”

  Daenerys looked at the Unsullied leader with admiration, “What is your name?”

  “Grey Worm.” The Stark could think of half a dozen jokes that would be hilarious, but for once held his tongue

  Daenerys is confused, “Grey Worm?”

  “All Unsullied boys are given new names when they are cut-- Grey Worm, Red Flea, Black Rat. Names that remind them what they are-- vermin.” Missandei informed her.