We Got a Dam Problem

Skyler's POV

We had to walk for almost an hour before we found a path that led up to the road. It came up on the east side of the river. Then we straggled back toward the dam. It was cold and windy on top. On one side, a big lake spread out, ringed by barren desert mountains. On the other side, the dam dropped away like the world's most dangerous skateboard ramp, down to the river seven hundred feet below, and water that churned from the dam's vents.

"There's a snack bar in the visitor center," Thalia said.

"You've been here before?" Percy asked his arm slung over my shoulder as we walked down the road.

"Once. To see the guardians." She pointed to the far end of the dam. Carved into the side of the cliff was a little plaza with two big bronze statues. They looked kind of like Oscar statues with wings.

They were dedicated to Zeus when the dam was built," Thalia said. "A gift from Athena."

Tourists were clustered all around them. They seemed to be looking at the statues' feet. "What are they doing?" I asked.

"Rubbing the toes," Thalia said. "They think it's good luck."

"Why?"

She shook her head. "Mortals get crazy ideas. They don't know the statues are sacred to Zeus, but they know there's something special about them."

"When you were here last, did they talk to you or anything?" Percy asked.

Thalia's expression darkened. I could tell that she'd come here before hoping for exactly that, some kind of sign from her dad. Some connection. "No. They don't do anything. They're just big metal statues."

At the mention of big metal statues, I thought of what happened to Bianca and I wanted to break down in tears. I pushed the feeling down and tried to keep a straight face.

"Let us find the dam snack bar," Zoe said. "We should eat while we can."

Percy cracked a smile. "The dam snack bar?"

Zoe blinked. "Yes. What is funny?"

"Nothing," Percy said, trying to keep a straight face. "I could use some dam french fries."

Even Thalia smiled at that. "And I need to use the dam restroom."

Maybe it was the fact that we were so tired and strung out emotionally, but I started cracking up, and Thalia and Percy joined in, while Zoe just looked at us. "I do not understand."

"I want to use the dam water fountain," Percy said.

"And..." Thalia tried to catch her breath. "I want to buy a dam T-shirt."

I busted up, and I probably would've kept laughing all day, but then I heard a noise: "Moooo." The smile melted off my face. I wondered if the noise was just in my head, but Percy had stopped laughing too. He was looking around, confused.

"Did I just hear a cow?" I asked

"A dam cow?" Thalia laughed.

"No," I said. "I'm serious."

Zoe listened. "I hear nothing."

Thalia looked between me and Percy and decided the son of Poseidon looked more confused and flustered then I did so questioned him. "Percy, are you okay?"

"Yeah," he said. "You guys go ahead. I'll be right in."

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing," I said. "I... I just need a minute. To think."