Chapter 18

A/N:

This isn't edited, because I had already taken so lone to update, i figured you guys would kill me for taking any longer. Ignore the mistakes, and I'm sorry! ;)

________________________________________

~Jason

________________________________________

She pulled her arms tighter around herself, hugging her elbows. I saw her teeth chattering and frowned.

"Tamara Rose, would you stop being so damn stubborn and take the blanket? It's freezing out here."

She was shivering, shaking so badly it was clearly visible. Her nose and cheeks had turned red--partially from crying and partially from the cold. Dried tears streaked her skin, her eyes glassy as she continued staring down at her friend's dead body.

"I-I w-would rather f-freeze out here than t-take anything fr-from you," she managed to stammer out. I felt my expression darken.

"I don't know what hope you're holding out that your precious mate might come for you, but I suggest forgetting about it. I just saw him and he made no attempt to follow me. He was too busy being interrogated by your other friend, Mark." I smirked. "Turns out he kept his family tree a secret from more than a few people."

She placed a hand on her friend's face, stroking his hair gently as if he was still alive. "C-can you blame him?" she whispered. "I-I wouldn't t-tell anyone if y-you were my brother."

The smirk fell from my face. Feeling anger spike my blood, I stepped forward and grabbed her by the wrist, ripping her away from her friend's body and jerking her to her feet. She stared at me with wide eyes as I held her an inch from my face, my eyes blazing.

"You speak to me with respect, understand?" I growled. "I am your husband!"

Her expression grew stormy. "The only man in my life is Dylan."

I couldn't control it. Growling, I threw her across the clearing we were in. She landed against a tree with a solid whack. The impact itself most likely jarred her enough to break a few bones, but on top of that, when she landed, she did so on her leg.

A bloodcurdling scream ripped through the air. My eyes widened and I was by her side in a flash.

"Shut up!" I hissed. "They'll hear you!"

She was sobbing hysterically, cradling her ribs and her leg as best as she could without opening the wide, bloody wounds all over her body. Her angelic face looked up at me, twisted in agony as she cried.

I softened slightly. It bothered me that she was hurt, but I was more concerned about Dylan's pack. I'd only traveled a few miles off his territory. If any wolves were lurking near, they most likely heard Tamara Rose.

Breathing in deeply, I quickly said, "Look, I'll get you to a hospital as soon as we get further away from Sierra County, alright? Just stop screaming until--"

"If you lay another finger on her, I will rip the fucking flesh off your skull."

***

________________________________________

~Dylan

________________________________________

Jason was an idiot if he thought Mark and I were acually too busy fighting to follow him. We'd carefully crafted it so that he'd think we were busy enough to slip away, and then we tracked him at a distance so he wouldn't be able to hear or smell our trails.