Chapter 26- Frio

COUNTDOWN TO THE END: 8

----------------------------

Chapter Twenty-Six: Frio.

Nathan and I had been standing beside each other for a while. He held my hand, and I laid my head on his shoulder. Everything was calm and peaceful. The seconds were ticking by slowly and for a moment it seemed nothing bad could possibly happen.

And then I heard a buzzing of footsteps.

“It’s Oscar,” Nathan said quickly, so that I wouldn’t get alarmed.

But when we looked around, he was nowhere to be seen.

Nathan noticed the puzzled expression on my face, “Follow me.” He held my hand. “I can feel his umbra.”

We walked slowly, Nathan’s senses were on full alert as we made our way through the dark woods.

I tried hard not to think too much.

I didn’t want to imagine that anything had gone wrong.

But Nathan finally stopped walking, his gaze was narrowed straight ahead into the distance. I tried to see what it was that he was looking at: he seemed suddenly worried.

“Come on.” He said, and continued walking.

When we had taken a few more steps, I noticed a large group. Their pale faces were shining bright beneath the moonlight.

Immortals-

Lestat’s other descendants.

I saw Tanya, Ahmed, and a few others. “What’s wrong?” I whispered.

When they caught a glimpse of me, they all gave me an apologetic look. “What is it?” I repeated.

I instantly began to panic. Something felt wrong.

They each moved out of the way so that I could see whatever it was they were blocking from my view.

And there it was.

 I took slow steady steps, and without a warning, I heard a loud scream.

***

Micro seconds, or in my brain, an eternity had passed before realizing that the source of the scream was me.

My lungs were aching, my chest was pounding and I felt as if though my body would destroy itself at the very sight.

Oscar’s smooth pale face gleamed bright, his light brown hair slicked back. And his eyes welled up with tears, while holding someone’s hand to his cheek.

“Please tell me he’s okay, Oscar.” I mumbled.

“I’m sorry…” Oscar cried.

His dark black robe seemed bright beneath the starlight. Bright beneath the glowing complexion of his brother Caleb, whom to my deepest of all horrors now laid motionless on the cold ground.

I would have to die with him. 

My hysteric mind had resigned to the only possible outcome. Because there was no way that I could ever survive something like this.

 I began sobbing and threw myself on the ground.

I held his cold hand to my chest. And I cried—I watched how Caleb’s pale face was smeared with dirt, his shirt was nearly ripped in half. Blood was oozing out of his chest, creating a pool of blood around us.

And then I resumed, and it all became painfully real.

 Tanya tried to pull me back, but I had summoned all the strength in my being, “No!” I sobbed hysterically, the tears were unstoppable.

 Behind me I heard a loud clash.

“Sarah.” She said firmly.

 “We have to go, they’re back…” She yelled desperately. But my surroundings had become a blur. The noises and the clashes had faded into nothingness, all I saw was him.

“I shall stay here and ward them off.” John yelled; Caleb’s body was pulled off the ground and Oscar carried him over his shoulder.  

“Sarah,” Someone said to me and put my hands down. “Be strong!” Someone yelled, maybe it was Nathan’s voice, I was far too hysteric to tell.

Then everything became a blur.

***

----------------------------