Chapter 1

A/N: This is a fanfiction. Everything I write is fictional and it is my own idea, so don't copy.I made up the names so no hate. The whole story is written in your P.O.V. (Point of view). So I hope you like it.

Also to anyone reading this in 2022: hi, I wrote this in 2014 and English is not my first language, so there will be a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes. I truly apologize. Now enjoy your read!

My name is Lia Tomlinson. I was born on the 1st July 1997 in Brooklyn/New York. My brother's name is Louis, he is six years older than me and then there is my Dad . His name is Danny and he's a detective at the New York Police Department. My Mum died on the 11th September 2001 at the Twin Tower tragedy.That was really hard and still is, but I will come to that later on so I will start my story from the very beginning.

My whole family is employed in the police business. My grandfather Mac Malik headed (Maybe still does, I don't know) the forensic laboratory at the police department in New York. My mother Lyndsey and my dad have been working  there,too. My mum has a brother called Tim Malik who  has a son, my cousin Zayn Malik.

Louis, Zayn and me were all pretty close and we never did something alone. We were always together something like inseparable.

One day when I was five years old, my brother and my cousin came right after school to pick me up from kindergarden. Everything seemed normal to us until we got out of the elevator that led to our flats, which were on the same floor as the forensic laboratory.

As we made our way to the meeting room, we saw how everyone hurried in there with a concerned look on their face. We went in there aswell and saw that the TV was turned on, playing the same 25 seconds over and over again.

A huge plane crashing into one of the towers of the World Trade Center, while five seconds later a second plane crashed into the other tower.

At that time I was too young to understand what was actually happening, so I looked at Louis and Zayn who were crying. Then over to my dad who also had tears rolling down his cheeks.

I tucked at my brothers shirt, asking him what's wrong and all he said was: "Mum is in heaven now, love. Mum is an angel , now taking care of us from heaven."

Mum had an important meeting with some people on the exact floor where the first plane crashed, but I didn't understand it at that time. The following weeks everyone around me was sad.

Dad and Louis cried every night, so did Zayn who we shared a room with.

A few weeks later my dad got fired from my grandfather, because he wasn't able to work properly due to the incident. The consequence of that was: we had no money. It was enough for my dad himself and only one of us kids. That is the point where the real story began.