Prologue

Prologue

The waves crashed furiously against the rocks and shattered like glass, the noise adding to the deafening roars of the thunder. Lightning flashed brightly illuminating the sinister night sky and cut jaggedly through the rain clouds. Each flash reflected against the angry foaming of the waves.

At the entrance to the bay a large galleon was being pummelled viciously against the harsh edges of the cliffs, shards of wood exploding into the air. Rowing boats manned by sailors trying to escape were either engulfed by the waves or smashed roughly against the cliffs the same way that the ship was. The vast white sails danced mournfully in the wind, almost looking as if the ship was signalling surrender against the elements tearing it apart.

Townsfolk and soldiers alike crowded the beach, squinting their eyes against the heavy rain to watch as the galleon was destroyed, constantly looking out for any survivors being washed ashore. As the night dragged on the waves became higher and more monstrous, almost as if the foam were teeth and would crash down on anything that was thrown into its waiting mouth.

Debris was thrown carelessly out of the water and was strewn across the length of the beach. Boxes of cargo, broken planks, railings, hammocks, a drum, even a smashed piano was found half buried beneath the remainders of the vessel. Still people stood waiting on the beach, huddling together against the cruel winds and icy rain that battered them, waiting for any survivors that might be washed up in the storm.

Not one body was seen to be dragged up through the crushing waves.

Eventually the rain dwindled until it had stopped altogether. The winds that died down to a slight breeze seemed to hush the violent waves to a gentle lull, and slowly the clouds that had looked so ominous began to part and showed a few winking stars. It wasn't long before the first signs of dawn sprinkled the sky and a soft glow had begun on the horizon. This was when the people waiting for survivors broke off into groups and began walking the length of the bay, from the beginning of the beach up to the docks on the other side.

The group that began searching the very far end of the beach where sand met stone consisted of four men, one younger lad and three soldiers. Most other groups had the same numbers, and each one began searching a hundred metre length space. It was exhausting moving between and underneath the debris that was scattered in their way. While the groups were also looking for survivors, they were mainly seeking cargo that was undamaged. After watching the galleon being thrown against the cliffs until there was nothing left, nobody had any hope that anyone could have survived.

When the group of eight were half way through searching their part of the beach, they found excitement rising in their chests. A cry from one of them had brought the other seven running to him to see what he had found. Perhaps a chest full of gold or jewels? They stopped where the youngest of them was and looked in the direction that his outstretched arm was pointing. Each of them froze at the sight in front of them.

Only a few metres away from them laid strewn on the sand was a person. A person that was face down with their head looking the opposite way, and from the head grew long, thick golden caramel locks. Part of her hair was draped over one arm that was spread over her head, whilst the rest covered her bare back, but leaving the rest of her still naked. The contrast of the white sand against her tanned skin seemed to accent her bare curves even more.

For a moment the men stared in awe at her naked form laid out on the sand. Then, cautiously, one of the men stepped forwards and slid off his coat as he approached her. When he was beside her he knelt down and placed it over her body before proceeding to place two fingers against the women's neck. Relief seemed to flood through him as a faint pulse beat against them. He turned back to look at the seven others that were waiting for his report.

"She's alive, just" His voice seemed to lift a weight from their shoulders and they visibly relaxed.

One of the soldiers stepped forwards and walked towards them.

"How can she be the only one who managed to survive? How did she even survive that?" He asked the man kneeling next to her.

"I don't know, maybe's she managed t' get off the ship before it was pulled towards them cliffs" He replied whilst nodding in the general direction of where the galleon had been.

"I wonder why nobody else thought to get off" The soldier thought out loud. At the same time he spoke, a cough choked from the unconscious figure laid beside them. Looking back to her, the two men saw her begin to turn onto her back and the man who had placed the coat over her was quick to make sure that she remained covered.

"What deh' we do with her?" The man asked the soldier who had to drag his eyes away from her to look up at the man again.

"Take her to the Admiral" With that spoken he signalled to the other two soldiers to come over and help him.

Carefully, they fastened the coat around her and the man whose coat it was gently picked her up. She curled into his body shivering as a child would after a nightmare, causing his face to redden and his body stiffen slightly. He could feel that she was cold even through his thick worn jacket.

"Oi' lad, come ere'" He beckoned to the one that had found her.

"Yeah?" Came his uncertain reply as his eyes found their way tracing the women's bare legs.

"Eyes up ere' lad! Take of your coat and wrap it over the lass, she's still cold" He ordered.

"Why my coat?" The young man asked smartly.

"Who gives a damn why your coat! Take it off and put it on her!" One of the other men shouted at him from behind.

"Ah, yeah" The lad mumbled this time and hastily took it off before placing it over her sleeping form.

"Now git' lost" He did as he was told and disappeared amongst the cloud that was gathering.

As the voices of the people surrounding them got louder, he felt the women shift and groan slightly. Looking down at her he found himself looking at a lightly tanned, elegant heart shaped face decorated with a soft pink pout, long curling black eyelashes, a straight slightly curved nose, and smooth angelic cheeks.

The man carrying her found himself wondering what colour her eyes were, whether they were a deep ocean blue, or perhaps a striking emerald green. Maybe even a dark brown speckled with gold. He was sure that they would be as beautiful as the rest of her, whatever colour they were.

Almost as if hearing his thoughts, the beauty in his arms stirred and slowly her eyes fluttered open, and he found himself mesmerised by the striking silver eyes that stared back at him in confusement.