19: Go Party Hard, It's Your Birthday

En başından başla

4 hours later...

I have a small party with just a few people tonight. By a few people, I mean: Brian, Alena, Gabby, Chris, and Shay. I walk into the club and people immediately start wishing me a happy birthday.

"Where's Brian? I'm surprised he's not here." Gabby comments.

"If you look on Rowan's Instagram story, they are currently in Palm Springs celebrating their 5 year anniversary." I say with all the pettiness in my voice.

"What? How can that jerk miss his best friend's birthday?" Chris asks.

"Apparently Brian can 2 years in a row."

I've barely seen Brian since I started working for Mr. Cloud. I'm so busy with work and he's so busy tryin to please Rowan. He's been such a jerk lately and that's just not something I need right now.

"Don't be so bummed, I made sure someone else showed up." Alena smirks at me and points behind me.

I turn around to find Marcus there with a gift in his hands. My face lights up.

"Happy birthday!" Marcus says.

"You purposely made yourself look busy in your calendar so I wouldn't bother to ask." I say with disbelief.

"I wanted to surprise you."

He gives me a hug and hands me my gift.

"Here you go."

"Thank you."

"Now that your boyfriend...I mean boss is here. LET'S DRINK!!!" Alena announces.

We begin taking shots.

"Am I late?!?" Someone yells.

We all turn around to see Brian panting. He joins us.

"Oh...I thought you were in LA. I saw on Rowan's story that you two were holding hands down Rodeo Boulevard."

Brian shakes his head.

"I dumped her and she must've gotten another guy I guess." He shrugs.

My eyes widen and Gabby and I look at each other.

"What? Why?" I ask.

"It wasn't working out anymore. You were over here having a hard time and she wouldn't let me be there for you. I finally called it last week."

I rub Brian's back.

"Are you okay?"

He smiles at me.

"I'm actually relieved and feel free, but let's talk about this when it isn't your birthday."

I nod my head and we take some shots.

"Why aren't you drinking?" Shay asks Marcus.

"I'm driving Celine home so I shouldn't drink."

Shay pats Marcus' back.

"You're the best, brother-in-law!"

Marcus giggles.

Brian and Gabby's eyes widen since they are the only ones who don't understand the inside joke.

"Brother-in-law?!?" They ask in unison.

"Come on, let's just take more shots!" I change the subject.

I make eye contact with Marcus and we immediately start smiling, thinking about Brian and Gabby's reaction.

"Marcus, at least take one shot with Celine." Alena says.

"Yeah! A love shot!" Chris suggests.

Shay hands one shot to me and another to Marcus. We chain arms and take the shot. Chris, Alena, and Shay cheer happily. In the middle of my party, Gabby pulls me aside.

"You've barely given Brian any attention tonight. Have you finally gotten over him?" Gabby gasps.

"I'm not sure, Gabs. There's just been so much lately. My father just passed and I've been mostly thinking about that. Also, I've barely been seeing him lately."

"Ah I see. So...what is up with Chris, Alena, and Shay? Are you and that CEO really a thing?"

She does her little shoulder dance and smirks at me.

"It's just a joke."

"But he was the one who was with you during the funeral...not Brian."

"Well Marcus has been the one with me lately. We spend a lot of time together because he's my boss so...yeah. He was also there when I got the call."

"Damn that's so insane. You've liked Brian for years, but then just as he dumps Rowan, you're leaning on some other guy."

"Gabby, he's my boss." I say clearly.

"But love is love, you never know who or what they may be."

I let out a sigh.

We go back to everyone and Marcus goes up to me.

"Are you okay? You seemed stressed."

"No, I'm fine."

I force out a smile and he crosses his arms.

"I can tell that smile isn't genuine. Tell me what's up."

"Marcus, I'm really fine. Just kind of tipsy."

"Alright. Just take it easy."

I nod my head.

As everyone is conversing and drinking, Shay goes up to me in his wheelchair.

"Brian dumped Rowan, insane right?" He asks.

I nod my head and continue to daydream.

"But you don't look as happy as I thought you would. Could this have anything to do with my brother-in-law?"

I turn to face my brother.

"Stop calling him that and I don't know. I'm just not in the right mental state to have feelings for anyone right now."

"I get it, but for real, enjoy your party."

"I will!"

I start taking more shots and I slowly become drunk. The last thing I remember is dancing like an idiot to My Boo by Usher and then everything is pretty much blurry.