19. I need a mighty BURGER

Start from the beginning

I need a change of environment. Yes, that’s what I need. Quickly, I got up to my feet and made my way into the wardrobe.

“Harieth.” Dad’s voice draws my attention away from the staircase I was about to step on. I had packed a few things and made my way down to father’s home without letting Christian know. It was a bit late so I presumed dad would have gone to bed or still be at the office.

Nevertheless, I’m happy to see his face. A smile drew upon my face as I turn away from the stairs and now make my way up to him. I flung my arms around him, holding him in a tight hug.

“I’ve missed you so much.” I expressed while reminiscing all the good times we had together.

“Harieth, what are you doing here?” He questioned as he takes my arms off him so our eyes could meet. His question puzzled me for a second but then I understood his reasons. It was late and I showed up uninformed.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you beforehand. It was a quick decision...”

“Go home Harieth.” He ordered, letting my hands go at once before turning away. My brows are slightly narrow at the unexpected.

“Dad,” I called before he drew to a stop. I took steps towards him and only stopped in front of him.

“Dad, I can’t go back there tonight. I... I just need to stay here for a while.”

“Are you tired?” His question came out quick and unaware. Nevertheless, the fact he cares brought a simple smile to my face.

“Yes.”

“Then, end it quickly.” His sentence comes out short and a bit confusing that the smile on my face slowly dies down.

“What do you mean by that?”

“What do I mean? Harieth, we had an agreement, an understanding and I believed we were on the same page. Is living with Christian Hendrix so frustrating? Then, end it quickly. Do what I asked of you and we don’t have to deal with that family ever again?” He expressed and all I could do at the moment was stare at him, his words not quite what I was expecting at this moment.

“But... I... It’s not as easy as you made it out to be. He doesn’t even let me spend as much as I want. How am I supposed to take over the entire Hendrix wealth without him knowing a thing?”

“Are you really asking me that question?” He asked with a stern expression that I’m rendered speechless and pathetic for a moment.

A sigh eluded his lips as he looked away from me for a moment, the fact he was disappointed in me was evident on his face and it made me feel terrible.

“Harieth, you’re a woman and you’re his wife. Doesn’t that expression give you an idea?” He questioned but I remain silent, a little confused about where he was headed.

“Use your body! Seduce him! Make him madly in love with you! Use any means necessary but be fast about it. We don’t have much time left. I can barely hold the company together anymore. Soon, the fact that we’re going bankrupt will be exposed. Whether we rise above this or we crumble to dust, it’s all up to you. Go home Harieth.” His words hit me like a tornado before he was well on his way, leaving me to reminisce on his words.

“No, it’s nothing dad. I’m okay.” I stated what could have been the right ending of our conversation.

In the end, an exhausting sigh eluded my lips as disappointment as well as frustration washes over me. Dad was right. My fate was all up to me. I had wasted so much time occupying my thoughts with irrelevant things instead of thinking up ways to push dad’s plan through. After all, it’s for my safety as well.