napoli

"Don't keep telling me that you're terribly sorry! Where is my luggage? I checked it because I thought you guys would be able to get it from one place to another in one piece!"

"I'm terrible sorry ma'am but we have no tracking number to call to know what location your bags are-"

"I just don't understand how this happened. I trusted your airline with my bags that has my stuff in it. I need my things! I'm a broke college student, I don't have the money to buy a whole new wardrobe!"

"We can offer you a small vouter for your troubles..."

"You need to reimburse me for the price of everything that was in that suitcase! That has every item of clothing I need for spending the next three months in Italy!"

Do you ever just think that there must be someone up there who has it out for you?

Yeah, well whoever my ruthless enemy is, sure has some way of making sure that literally nothing can ever go right for me.

I stepped off the nine hour flight from Chicago to Italy expecting clear skies, friendly people, and my perfectly folded luggage waiting for me.

Instead I get a rainy day, useless employees, and none of my luggage.

I was beginning to think that this whole trip was a mistake.

Mistake doesn't even begin to describe it.

"Excuse me? Miss?"

I whip around from my heated conversation with the customer service employee to meet a pair of kind brown eyes.

"I'm sorry to bother you," says the boy, "but I may know how to help you."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion as I give the boy a once over.

He had short, tousled, brown hair that covered his forehead while some pieces were long enough to reach the top of his eyelashes. He was fairly tall, maybe around 5'8 or 5'9, which caused him to have to look down at me as a result of my mere 5'2 height.

He was wearing those classic, frat boy shorts and a black t-shirt that accentuated his arms nicely. Farther down, his shoes were untied white vans which were scuffed up and slightly dirty, especially when compared to his sterling white socks below them.

I concluded within a mere five seconds that this was the kind of guy that you miss on the street, but had the power to re-capture you with his bright brown eyes and strong jawline. It also didn't hurt that he had a hint of an Italian accent...

"What do you mean?" I say finally, looking straight into his eyes.

He chuckled slightly, revealing his pearly white teeth. Those definitely made him more attractive. "I hate to bother you, but I see that you are in need of some sort of assistance."

"I don't have my luggage... how are you going to help with that?" I didn't mean for it to come across so bitchy, but I was able to tell that it did, as the boy's smile faltered for a split second.

"Unfortunately I have no way to get you back your luggage, however I do know a place where you can get necessities and clothes for a cheap price."

"And why would you be telling a complete stranger this?" I say skeptically. I wasn't naive, there was no way I was going to an unfamiliar place based solely off of a stranger's recommendation.

He subconsciously reached behind rub nervously at the spot where his neck and his spine met, very obviously not sure of how to answer the question. "I don't mean to come off as a creep. But my Zia has a store in downtown Napoli, and I'm sure she would be happy to give you some items for a discounted price," he ends with a sheepish smile.

What the hell is a zia?

"I'm not sure..." I say as I trail off, how could I trust this boy?

"Ma'am," says the customer service employee from the desk in front of me. I honestly completely forgot he was still there, "the man is correct, I will try to locate your luggage but at this moment I have no way to give you anything. Once we find it we will send it to wherever you are staying, however for now..."

I sigh, "okay, thank you," I say curtly to the employee, even though I knew that none of this was his fault.

"I will contact you via phone number to keep you updated. For now, I would listen to the boy, he is obviously a local," the employee adds once again.

I simply nod before grabbing my backpack off the ground next to me and turning back to the boy.

"Where is this shopping area?"

"Chiaia. It's a short drive from here, I can take you so you don't have to pay for a cab fare."

I bite my lip, wondering if I could trust the stranger in front of me. I finally sigh, "not that this would ever work... but please just tell me that you're not a serial killer or a kidnapper?"

The brown-haired boy chuckled, "do I look threatening to you?"

I study the boy's features closely. Wavy chestnut hair, kind eyes, long lashes, pink lips...

"I suppose not."

He smiles once again before reaching out his hand in an attempt to be polite, "I'm Leo."

His name suited him perfectly. I couldn't imagine someone who looked like more like a 'Leo' than him.

"I'm Quinn," I say as I shake his hand.

"Pretty name for a pretty girl," he says cheekily, very obviously giving me a once over.

I almost snort in reply. I was sure that my old leggings and oversized t-shirt had him practically gagging. I still choke out a polite thank you, although I was sure he sensed it was disingenuous from his quirked eyebrow and crossed arms.

"So, shall we go?" Leo says, the bright glint in his eyes very evident.

"One more question," I start, "what are you doing in the airport anyways- besides picking up desperate American girls?" I smirk at my last response, enjoying my sarcastic sense of humor.

"Ah," Leo returns the smirk, "so you're desperate?" He says with a wink.

"Oh shut up," I roll my eyes, "you know what I mean."

"If you must know, I was at my mother's funeral. In New York."

And with that, he motions for me to follow before turning and walking away.