explanation

Three worlds. 24 cities. Centred around one, world-encompassing arena.
FREYR. HAGAL. TYR.
THE DATUM.

The Datum is the central for the Runeworlds. Located in the centre of the continent, it's where all trading across the Runeworlds takes place, and where all the important decisions are made. It's the transport hub between worlds and a culture central. Of course, it's also where the Games take place.

The Games have been going on since before anyone can remember. All laws are out in the stage of the Datum and the only rule is that there are no rules. Two people go in; one person comes out. At the end of the tournament, the victor is crowned ruler of the Runeworlds for the next year, when the tournament takes place again. Even entering allows you a certain status in your city; if your name is picked it is the ultimate honour.

Freyr is the first world, and the most forgiving. There are laws here, but mostly they are not needed. The people are kind and the government even more so.

Hagal is the middle world, and the most confusing. Magic is most widely practiced here, and it is a world of possibilities. Many people flee here to escape - escape responsibilities, escape rules and regulations. The laws are not often upheld.

Tyr is the third world, and the strictest. The people from Tyr are not only fighters, they are victors. The laws are firm and justice is blind.

There are eight regions in each world, with a city in each one. A contestant from each region is chosen for the tournament every year in return for glory and power.

Magic and power laces the air and those with money can afford training and foci. Those without often make do with stones to cast their spells.

Those at home are just as key as those in the tournament. After all, family is everything.