Chapter 14: One-sided annihilation

En başından başla

Issei: So we just have to reach the other base, then I promote myself then ?

Kiba: It will not be so easy, they'll be waiting for us, we can't underestimate them.

Issei: So, what's the plan ?

"So it began. It's all up to them now."

I was currently with Sona and Tsubaki, in a viewing room of sort, watching what would probably be a beyond one-sided battle.

Someone knocked on the door, and both girls froze stiff when Sirzechs entered, apparently looking for something. Or rather someone.

Sirzechs: Ah, good. I was hoping to find you here, host of Giratina.

"Please just call me Y/n, like everyone does."

Sirzechs: Very well then, Y/n. I guess you know why I'm here, right ?

"Not just to say Hi. It must have something to do with the Rating game, and more precisely with the training your sister was under."

Sirzechs: Precisely. I wanted to ask you, what do you think of their winning chances after the training ?

"When it comes to power and brute strength, they'll destroy everything in their path without a problem. But in the battle that awaits them, power alone won't be enough to ensure their victory. Before the training, they lacked three vital strengths."

Sirzechs: Which strengths ?

"Teamwork, strategics, and leadership. They never fought against that kind of opponents, numerically superior. Have you ever heard of the Punic wars ?"

Sirzechs: Weren't they the wars that opposed Rome and Carthage in the antiquity ?

"Precisely, and more specifically, the battle of Cannes. That day, Not even 50000 Carthaginians had to face more than 85000 Romans. Anyone could tell that battle would mark the end of Carthage."

Sirzechs: And so, what happened ?

"That was a complete massacre. The Carthaginians lost almost 6000 soldiers, while the Romans... Lost between 65000 and 80000 men, depending on the sources."

Sirzechs: What is your point, telling me that ?

"I have a question for you: What do you think allowed the Carthaginians to get such an absolute win ? It couldn't be their number, or even their brute strength, the roman legions being way more experienced than the Celtic mercenaries in the Carthaginian army were. So what led them to victory ?"

Sirzechs: from what you just tell me about Rias, it must be about their leaders, not the soldiers...

"Yes... And no. What led them to victory, was both the great strategics and leadership of their general, Hannibal Barca; But nothing would have been possible, without the incredible spirit of cohesion of his troops."

"That's what will led your sister to victory too. If she can turn tables on Riser the same way, using his overconfidence against him, and compensating the numerical inferiority."

Sirzechs: Is that all, really ? I overheard that you were worried about Riser's regenerative abilities...

"Oh well, guess you discovered me. The training we gave them would've be enough against normal opponents, but Riser is the problem indeed."

Sirzechs: And so what ? Do you have a plan ?

"You're a very capable leader, Sirzechs, and as such, you know that being cautious in every situation is something extremely important. You too must have some sort of "backup plan" in case they lose today."