And still, she doesn't notice.

Trigger warning for Death, fading, abandonment, and mentions of a car crash. 

Tell me if there are any other triggers I missed, and please note that this story is not a vent. 

English IS my first language, but there's always room for improvement. If you find any spelling or grammar errors, feel free to tell me how to fix it.

Word Count: 468

Enjoy...

________________________________________________________________________________

Prompt: You are a kid's imaginary friend. She's growing up. You are fading away.

"Momma! Look, Adam's home!"
I watched as Anne ran over to the door, tackling her older brother into a hug. Adam hugged her back, and he asked her how she was doing. He asked what she was up to. She told him what she had been doing.

Except she didn't mention me. She always mentioned me to him. Always. When she was younger, Anne would tell him all about our adventures together. Then he would laugh and ask her to describe me, and she would.

But she didn't. He didn't seem to notice the change. She didn't seem to notice me in the room during the entire conversation.

I realized this was it. She didn't need me anymore. I was a toy that she played with and then tossed to the side when she was done playing. I realized she was going to abandon me. She didn't want me anymore. Did I do something wrong? Why doesn't she care anymore? Did I not make her smile enough? Did we not work through enough adventures together? Was I that forgettable?

I'm crying now. She doesn't notice. She used to. She used to notice if I didn't seem happy. She used to care. But she doesn't anymore.

Now she plays with the other toys, while I am alone with no one there. While she laughs and plays with others, I cry and scream. It hurts. Why doesn't she care? WHY WASN'T I GOOD ENOUGH? I tried to be good enough, I really did. I worked as hard as I could, and she didn't seem to care. I'm leaving.

NO! I don't want to leave! I want to stay with Anne! I want to watch her grow and I want to laugh with her and I want to comfort her! I want to play with her and I just want to stay! I want her to stay but she doesn't care enough to. She doesn't care enough to be there as I fade. She doesn't care at all. Did she ever care, or was I always just a toy to her? What did I do to deserve this?

Was I not perfect enough before I died? Was I not good enough when I got into the car the night of my 6th birthday with my momma and my papa sitting up front? Am I being punished for failing? Am I being punished for not being strong enough to survive the night my mamma, papa, and I were killed, leaving my brother to cry alone?

I thought she cared.

I thought wrong.

I let out one last scream; a scream filled with all the pent up agony, confusion, and hurt I've been feeling before I feel myself slip away completely, no longer Anne's best friend. No longer anyone's friend.

And still, she doesn't notice.