Chapter 31: The Return

Start from the beginning

Jake sighed, looking shamefully down at the table and grunting as the discussion began.

***

"Hi," Julie said as she stepped into Emma's office.

The redhead looked up, doe-eyed as usual, and said, "Please, have a seat. I have some news."

"What's going on?" Julie asked.

"I was emailing a few contacts at Stanford all weekend," Emma said, a smile forming on her face. "And I managed to get you an exclusive spot to their fly-in program for prospective students. It's last-minute, I know, but it'll really bump you up there and—"

"Say no more," Julie shook her head. "I'm in. When do I need to go?"

"If you leave at around lunchtime," said Emma, "you'll make your flight and you can—"

"Wait, it's this week?" Julie asked. "Mrs. Schue, it's Sectionals in just two days. I can't leave."

"You'll make it back on Thursday," Emma assured her. "Just in time to make it back for the competition."

"But there could be a flight delay," she responded. "Or something that could make me late."

"Ok, you're right," Emma nodded. "But this is still a big chance for you. You're flight is already and all you'd have to do is get your parents to come down here and sign off on your permission slip. So what do you want to do?"

***

"You're not going to be at Sectionals?" Rory exclaimed as soon as Julie told them the news.

"We're toast," Dan sighed.

The rest of the group began to banter as per usual until Will exclaimed, "Enough! This was a hard choice for Julie to make but it's for her future and it's very admirable."

"Mr. Schue's right, you guys," Marley nodded. "It takes courage to put your education ahead of everything else like that."

"Respect," Unique nodded.

"Wait, so someone has to do her duet with Jake then?" Harmony asked. The room fell silent and everyone looked around at each other. As had occured the previous year, Jake was now left with the pressure of choosing Julie's replacement.

***

"How are we supposed to revamp the squad without you here this week?" Kitty asked Julie as they walked down the hallway. "We were supposed to hold the auditions today. I've been tweeting about it all weekend! And yesterday I even posted on Instagram. Instagram, Julie! And Carrie's been trying to convince the other girls not to show up. Without you or Bree how am I going to convince them otherwise?"

"You'll still have them," Julie insisted. "Look, I'm sorry I won't get to be there but I'll be back for the championship game on Friday and ready to kick some ass in our non-uniform skirts."

"Those came in yesterday," Kitty nodded.

"Perfect," Julie smiled. "And for now, I'm going to do one last thing before I leave."

"And what's that?" Kitty asked.

"Rally," she answered. "There's no way Carrie's going to keep the squad from forming back." She threw an arm in the air and the music began.

[Cue Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl."]

Julie: Uh huh, this my shit. All the girls stomp your feet like this!

A few of the old cheerleaders who were standing nearby joined in behind her, sensing a flash mob that they didn't want to miss out on.

Julie with Cheerios: A few times I've been around that track. So it's not just gonna happen like that! 'Cause I ain't no hollaback girl! I ain't no hollaback girl.