Chapter III

She had never felt so cold, or so alone.

Oriana stood in an open snowy field, the wind whipping against her already cold skin. Only a thin dress clung to her frame, plastered down from the wind and ice.

But she barely felt the cold wind, the only perception she had was just memory alone. Even now her memories of feeling felt far, but she didn't feel empty. She felt whole. She didn't need to feel the heat of the fire to burn hot nor the winds from the north to feel cold.

She ran her fingers through the snow falling at her feet. She didn't notice or pay attention to the non-existence of the temperature and instead felt the softness yet crunchy texture.

Oriana straightened up, smoothing her dress down, an old habit she would never shake. She looked up towards the moonlit sky that seemed to be whispering her name.

As soon as her eyes had touched the moon her vision went black and her scream echoed through the not so empty snow. Someone caught her before she could land in the snow, their touch felt light and careful.

Oriana's vision would fade in and out. One moment she'd see skin reflecting silver in the moon and red-rimmed eyes and the next it would go black. Then her vision would return and she'd see Micah, a mischievous look in his young eyes and then her vision would go dark. It felt like this went on forever.

Oriana opened her eyes to a small room, the only source of light a candle beside her, that cast a yellow glow. She rubbed her eyes to clear the blurriness and looked around. The room was small, the walls were made of tightly woven tree trunks and the ceiling above her was the sky. The beautiful starry night sky and the moon was nowhere to be seen.

She sat up trying to push her hair out of her eyes and decided to tuck her hair behind her ear. Hopefully, it stayed where it was put.

There was a small creak that drew Oriana's attention towards an open doorway, there was a tall figure. It looked like he had long dark hair, he wore a light shirt that was a stark yellow which contrasted quite well to the white of his pants. He had noticed her wandering gaze and she looked away, no redness touched her cheeks.

The man moved forwards and Oriana went to reach for the knife she kept by her side, it wasn't there.

"If you're reaching for this," The man held up her knife, "Then I took it away to be cleaned. If you wanted it to hurt me, then go right ahead."

The man held out the knife, hilt first but Oriana hesitated, she could hear Ana yelling at her now. The way the man spoke calmed and soothed her so she ended up in a slouch, the thin dress folding with her skin.

Oriana opened her mouth to speak but the man spoke first.

"My name is Riaan, I am the King here," He let the information sink in, "I am King of the Shades, or more commonly known in your novels vampires."

Oriana stared in shock, how? These novels where just novels after all, how could some of it be the truth.

Riaan smiled, the glinting of fangs shining in the yellow light.

"We aren't all they are in your books," He raised his eyebrows in question and Oriana nodded drawing her legs up, making room for Riaan.

"Shades, unlike vampires, do not burn in the sun, that is just a novelty we let those wielders and mortals have. We can walk in the light, though it does slow us." He looked sidelong at Oriana before continuing, "The moon and its light hurt and that is why your dear Micah fought so hard to clear the darkness."