I nod. "Sure."

He pulls his phone out of his pocket and hands it over. I quickly type my name and phone number in before saving it and handing the device back.

He gives me another big smile. "Thanks." He runs a hand through his sweaty hair making it flick up in all different directions. "I better head back, see you around."

"See ya." I reply with a wave as he jogs back in the direction he came.

His broad back in that tight compression shirt makes me–"Was that my brother?" Ryan's question startles me and I clutch my chest in surprise as she approaches with the stroller.

She's got a waffle cone overflowing with an extra large scoop of chocolate ice cream in her hand. She reaches down and lets Brooks have a lick which he happily accepts.

I wipe the sweat from my forehead and reign in my dirty thoughts before finally replying. "Yeah, he ran into me and said hello."

"He called and told me about Kelis being rude with you last night, that really sucks." She purses her lips. "She's not usually like that."

Ryan doesn't know anything about my past other than who Brooks' father is, I'm too ashamed to tell her anything else so she wouldn't understand why Kelis acted that way toward me. I know Ryan wouldn't judge me because she's not that kind of person, it's just not something I like to bring up.

I give a shrug. "It's not a big deal. I assumed it would happen if I ran into anyone I knew, your brother had my back though."

"He's a good big brother, loyal to the core. Just don't let him get you on your back. As much as I love him he goes through girls pretty fast." A frown pulls at her lips.

Exactly my type. Another reason why I can't go there with him. Keep them coming, Ryan, I need all the reasons.

I let out a short laugh. "No worries there, Ry, the last thing I need in my life is another guy. " I reach down and dab a bit of melted ice cream from Brooks' chin. "This little guy is plenty."

Ryan finishes her ice cream and we set off back toward our apartment building. We part ways in the hallway and I push Brooks inside my apartment before removing him from the stroller and taking him to the bathroom. I set him in his playpen with some toys and strip out of my sweaty clothes before jumping in the shower. By the time I'm done Brooks is fussing and on the verge of a meltdown. I dry off quickly, tugging a pair of underwear on and and some shorts before grabbing him from the play pen and go to the rocking chair in his nursery so he can eat.

He latches immediately, suckling like he's ravenous, staring up at me with those big blue eyes. I sigh and run my finger across his cheek, I just couldn't imagine my life without him. I love him so much. I feel guilty that he won't have both parents living in the same household with him, I guess sometimes things just don't work that way. I had both parents and neither of them did much parenting. If his father ever wanted to try one day when we both have our lives together, I might be up to it, I'd do anything for my little guy.

Once he's done nursing I finish getting dressed and take him to the living room so I can play with him. I push a toy car across the floor making car noises and he giggles like its the funniest thing he's ever seen. My phone vibrates with a text from an unknown number and my heart races at the thought of it possibly being Taylor. Something about him just seems so easy, easy to get along with, easy to like. The text says,  'hey'. I reply with, 'who is this?', even though I know it's him. It only takes a few seconds before I get a text back that says, 'Taylor'. I save his number under T and reply.

Brynn:
Hey

T:
I had to make sure you actually gave me your number instead of a fake lol

I laugh out loud at that. As if he's ever been given a fake number by a girl, puh-lease, the man is delicious with a capital D.

Brynn:
Nope, it's really me lol

    I drive the toy car across Brooks' leg and he erupts into a fit of giggles.

T:
WYD

Brynn:
    Hanging out with Brooks. WBY

T:
    Hanging out at the frat house. About to go to football practice

Of course he plays football, it's no surprise now why his body is built like it is.

Brynn:
You have practice in the evenings?

T:
Yeah, Coach's wife is pregnant and she has terrible nausea in the mornings so he moved practice to the evenings, sometimes we have it at night too. You and Brooks could come hangout if you aren't busy. We're probably gonna go play basketball and get food after

I look down at Brooks as he claps his hands and takes the car from me. His eyes meet mine and a slow smile tilts his lips. I smooth his dark hair back away from his face and wish I hadn't lied about him to Taylor. I feel like a shitty person but how do I admit I lied and that instead of Brooks being my man he's actually my child? Taylor would probably run for the hills.

Brynn:
Maybe next time

    I sit my phone on the coffee table and lie down on the floor next to where Brooks sits. He squeals and smacks me right in the face with his toy car. I mash my lips together and let out a deep sigh.