Chapter 6: Grape News

"What is it?" Jade asks.

With the grape-looking object clasped in its tool, Jade watches as Dr. Morsey walks over to a steel countertop, reaches onto a shelf above it and pulls out a petri dish.  She studies his smooth, deliberate movements.

With his back to her,  Jade notices sweat beads forming along the back of his neck. Taking in his physique, she estimates that he's about six foot one.

"Some sort of food." He says. "I'm sure Dr. Cavallone has lectured about his forensic findings," he turns to look at Jade.

"Of course," Jade offers a feeble nod and weak smile. Relieved when he turns his attention back to the object.

Jade watches as he inspects the object. Slices off a portion  and places it in the petri dish. He places the remainder of it in a bag marked 'evidence.'

"Looks like a grape."

"A grape!" Jade's voice nearly cracks, not so much because of the dislodged item's description but because she notices a slight raised bump, perhaps scar tissue protruding from the portion of Dr. Morsey's ear that is visible beneath a few wet, soft curls peeking out from his sterile cap.

With his back still to her, he places the petri dish into a basket marked "laboratory", then reaches for a pair of sterile gloves, putting them on as he turns to approach the exam table.

Jade quickly focuses on and begins underlining notes in her notebook.

"See here," he waits for Jade to look up, then with a wave, he invites and waits for her to approach the exam table.

Jade observes as he tenderly presses his left hand on the dead woman's chin, opening it just enough to insert and move his hand slowly along the deceased woman's gums.

"As I was saying, I will send the findings to dentists in the area, post it on our website. I am also seeking a matching panoramic X-ray." Dr. Morsey moves his hand slowly along the  cadaver's teeth, carefully inspecting each tooth.

"Ahh, look here." His hand stops beside one tooth. "It looks like she has a large carious lesion on tooth number fourteen."

Jade nods as if she understands the dental terminology. She moves closer to inspect the tooth.

"That would probably require a root canal."

"Yes." Jade observes the discoloration of the slightly decayed tooth.

"So, you said that the object lodged in her throat looks like a grape?"

"That's right." He nods.

"Like a grape from a . . ."

"Vineyard." Dr. Morsey cuts her off. You know in Italy, they take their wine very seriously."

As in Texas, Jade considers in silence. "I've been reading about that . . ."

"Brunelopolli." He completes her sentence.

"Well, in the states, it's called 'Brunellogate.'"

"Ah yes," Dr. Morsey inspects the deceased woman's jaw. "Dr. Cavallone mentioned that you are from the states." He pauses and looks at her. "Where are you from?"

"Texas."

"How about that."

"What?"

"I spent a lot of time in Texas in my younger days. What part of Texas are you from?"

"Corpus Christi area. North Padre Island to be exact. I grew up in San Antonio, but moved to the Island about ten years ago."

A sound outside the door breaks up their conversation. "Scuzzi. Scuzzi." The front desk attendant cracks open the door just enough to slide his body through and shuts it behind him. With his back against the door, he says. "Le notizie! i media! la televisione!"

"Dove?" Where. Dr. Morsey's face turns pale.

"Qui. Appena fuori." Here. Just outside.

Jade clears her throat. "Excuse me. Is this about this dead woman? How much do they know?"

Dr. Morsey turns to her. He struggles to remove the gloves from his hands. "That a woman's body was recovered from the Arno." The glove rips. "News people!" He picks at it, decimating it into small pieces and then tosses the pieces into the trash can.

"What do we not want them to know?" Jade's voice is calm.

"We don't really know anything." Jade watches as Dr Morsey scrapes his hand through his nearly carmel blonde, slightly curly hair. "She is unidentified." He paces. "We don't have an exact time of death."

"Okay, what do we know that we can share."

"What do you mean we?" Dr. Morsey stops pacing. His blue eyes pierce into Jade.

"I can do this." She lifts her chin. "I have some experience with the media." She straightens her shoulders.

"You do realize that you're in Italy, not Texas."

"Infatti parlo italiano." In fact, I speak Italian. Jade smiles.

His eyes widen. His mouth snaps shut. He puts his hands together as if in prayer and looks to the ceiling. Grazie Dio. Thank you God.

Jade turns to the frightened looking man at the door. "Have them gather in the reception area."

The man looks at Jade but turns to Dr. Morsey for an answer.

"Si. Si." Dr. Morsey nods and flicks his hands in a dismissing gesture.

Jade exhales. Of course. A man's world. "And let them know that we will give a briefing in fifteen minutes."

"Si. Si." He makes a sign of the cross, cracks open the door just enough to squeeze out.

Outside the door, Jade hears chairs moving, voices loud and insistent — just like home, she thinks.

"Are you sure about this?" Morsey's look is more relief than concern.

"Yes, I've got this. I grew up in an Italian home. Three brothers and I." Jade steps forward. "Allow me to introduce myself, I am Jade Pezzaro." She extends her hand.

Dr. Morsey extends his hand to meet hers, and offers a sturdy shake. "Jade?" He tilts his head to one side. "Pezzaro?" He lifts one eyebrow.

Cute, she thinks. "Pe – zzar -- o." She pronounces each syllable slowly, deliberately, and allows his hand to linger in hers.

"Italian, from . . ." He removes his hand using it to circle the air.

"America," she says, "but I grew up in an Italian family, Southern Italian culture.

"Ahh." Jade feels his soft blue eyes peering over his glasses. "But, are you sure?" "I mean it could be a tough crowd out there," he gestures with his thumb pointed in the direction of the reception area. "This is no way for me to treat a guest . . . a resident." He looks around the room as if looking for another alternative. "I can have them removed. Security can escort them away."

"That would only create more drama," she pushes the hair on her left side behind her left ear. "Really, I am fine with the media." Jade crosses her arms. "I rather enjoy it. It's fine."

"You are sure about this?"

"Absolutely. And Dr. Cavallone might give me extra credit," she smiles.

He pauses again, then throws up his hands. "Well, then what can I do to help?"

"Perhaps a pen and some paper." Jade scans the room's contents. "I will keep it simple. And brief. But, I'd like to have notes, and I need to prepare."

"Of course," Dr. Morsey nods, walks to a dark area in the room where shelves stacked with supplies are located. He retrieves several pens and a pad of paper and hands them to Jade.

"Thank you." Jade begins developing several speaking points.

"I will be there with you." Dr. Morsey offers.

Jade looks up from her notes and raises an eyebrow.

"For backup." He straightens the collar on his labcoat.