Chapter 2: Fresh Meat

I woke up to several teenagers standing around me. Leaning up against my bed was a large black kid, an Asian with glasses and a flannel button up around his waist, and another kid in an orange jumpsuit.

"Hey buddy, my name's Carlton," the black kid said, "what's your name?"

"Dylan," I uttered.

"So Dylan, why are you here?" the Asian kid said.

"What do you mean?"

"Why did you get sent to the ranch?" He said.

This was the ultimate question. Why was I sent to the ranch. Well I have done a lot of things in my past. For one I'm a gay kid in Texas. Not to be rude but the state of Texas isn't very accepting of my kind. I had also recently had sex with a college boy when I was only 15. If it didn't make matters worse I had sex with him at my uncle's house when I was home alone. Should I tell them everything right off the bat or should I just let them figure out themselves. After all I'm going to be here for a little while. I guess I will just tell them everything and if they don't like me then they will just get over it.

"I got caught for having sex with a college boy at my uncle's house while I was home alone..." I blurted out.

And then it started...stares were coming at me in every direction. As I was lying on my bed I could feel them judging me.

"So...your'e like...gay??" Carlton said in disgust. "well just so you know I'm not gay so don't try any shit on me or I will end your life with just one hit to the head." He said as he walked back to his bed.

"Don't pay attention to him. He has to put on his tough boy vibe when he gets around new residents. He will eventually warm up to you. I'm Andrew...and yes before you ask...I'm gay" The Asian kid said to me.

Thank God. I'm not the only one. I guess I would survive here. But I hope he just wants to be friends because he wasn't my type. To be honest none of these guys are my type. They are all drug addicts with more depressing lives than me. At that moment Mr. John walked into the dorm and yelled at everyone.

"Alright everyone line up at the door, It's time for breakfast."

We all got in line and walked out to the tables and sat down. But something was not right. Nobody was talking.

"Why is nobody—" Everyone at once shushed me before I could finish.

"You can't talk when we are in five minutes. Before every meal we have to be quiet for five minutes. If you talk we will have to restart our time." Nate said.

I sat there for five minutes in complete silence. After waiting we got in line to eat. I was secretly hoping it wasn't going to be cafeteria food. As I walked into the kitchen I saw the ugliest thing I had ever seen...A fat black lady with no teeth sitting on a bar stool eating cornstarch from a jar. My eyes were scarred for life. I felt bad for the bar stool. I thought it would give way any moment. I didn't get anything to eat in fear that the black lady would steal it to eat herself.

As I walked out of the kitchen line I was called into the office. When I got to the office I saw my dad standing there trying his hardest not to cry. I couldn't bare the sight. I went over and hugged him. I knew this would be the last time I see him. I didn't want to let go. The hug seemed to last a lifetime.

"I hope you change here. You know that we are doing this because we love you. I have met your teacher. She is very nice. I love you so much...Goodbye." He said as he walked out of the room.

I knew it was going to be a long time before I would see him again. All I could do was just stand there and cry.