Chapter 4

"Fetch Max!"

It was Sunday and we decided to spend the afternoon in Central Park. Alyssa was playing with our two-year old Beagle, Max, for the last thirty minutes. Our little brown companion simply adored her and followed her around almost anywhere. They were inseparable.

Yesterday we decided to stay in, baking Alyssa's favourite muffins-squash muffins, and watching princess movies. Bella had an emergency meeting and did not return until evening but she managed to catch the last movie we put on. It was Beauty and the Beast, which we had already watched countless of times. It was our favourite.

"Sweetie, why don't you take a break?"

I already spread the blanket and brought out sandwiches and refreshments. We had a basket of food prepared by Marie and bless her, she didn't forget to pack ice cold juices and several bottles of water. Alyssa would need it after running around with Max.

"Okay mom!" With that she runs towards me and Bella, who was already enjoying a bottle of orange juice. Max quickly tugged behind with a stick clenched between its teeth.

Looking at my daughter, I can't help but think how it could have been if she grew up with a complete family. Ever since she started school, she has been asking about her dad. Apparently, some kids went to school with their dads.

At the age of three, she shouldn't be in school yet but she was smarter than most kids her age and Bella managed to pull some strings. She was accepted on a probationary condition but two months into the school year though, it was lifted, so she's officially in Kindy. I was a proud mom! She was well-behaved in school, rarely had tantrums and when she was upset, she'd just sit and frown as if in deep thought. She takes from her dad I guess because I easily lose my cool.

Right, back to the non-existent dad... I managed to brush the topic off every time she asked but I knew I needed to come up with something soon. Well, I still had the whole summer, which meant no school and Alyssa won't be seeing her classmates with their dads. Hopefully, that's enough to keep her from asking about it, for now.

I am not sure how Luke will react about her. He couldn't wait to get rid of me back then so I'm not sure he would accept the idea of a daughter. He might deny Alyssa being his. He might reject her and I know exactly how that feels. Alyssa is too young to ever know that kind of feeling. I don't want her hurt.

I was overprotective of my daughter. I'd do anything for her. I almost lost her once when I was pregnant with her.

After signing the divorce papers, I made my way out the house. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I felt like the whole house was closing in on me, suffocating me with everything that reminded of me of Luke, of the hurtful words that he threw at me, for ignoring my pleads and finally for turning his back on me when I was on the floor desperately begging for him to listen.

As I passed the parked cars, I could hear James calling after me but I ignored him. Right! I still had my car keys with me so I fumbled through my purse for it and threw it at his direction without even looking back.

They can both go to hell for all I care!

I continued to walk towards the gates and out into the main road. I don't really remember how long I have been walking but when I got to the busy part of the city, I suddenly felt pain on my abdomen. It brought me back from my trance and that's when I remembered about it.

The baby! Oh no!

The pain was unbearable. I was down on my knees clutching at my abdomen in an instant. I then noticed something warm trickling down my thighs.