You Give My Heart That Odd Stutter

I walked to English in a good mood. My brother was acting semi human and my mom made pancakes for breakfast. Yes, I know that sounded lame, but I don't care. Nothing could pop my bubble. I walked into English and took my seat. I'm very aware that I have a stupid smile on my face, but I can't seem to stop smiling. Emily walks in and takes her seat next to mine.

"Good mood?" asks Emily, taking out a notebook. "Ya, things somehow look brighter." I say, still smiling like a dork. She looks like she's going to comment, but then Mr. Lawrence walked in and told us to quiet down.

"Okay, now today is going to be the same as yesterday. In fact, we will be interviewing all this week. If you need more time after that, you will have to meet with your partner sometime over the weekend. Okay, you may begin." he said, walking toward his desk. I turned to Emily my notebook in had.

"I'm ready, how about you talk about your parents?" I said going over my notes.

"Well there's not much to tell. My mom, Denise Nelson, married my dad, Eric Clancy, at the beach on June 2nd,1991. My dad split when Caroline was born and I haven't seen him since. My mom raised me and my sisters alone. When he was here he was useless. Now he's in prison for drugs. That's it." Emily said, like it was just a fact of life. She looked so sad and angry at the same time. I felt so bad.

"Emily, I'm so sorry. I didn't know, I didn't mean to pry." I said in a rush, while biting my lip. I couldnt imagine life without my dad. The thought of it actually made tears cone to my eyes. Emily smiled a sad smile.

"You didn't know, it's okay. Sorry I dumped all that on you. Why don't I start talking about something else?" she said, in a comforting voice. But, I also saw tears in her eyes, and I still felt terrible bringing it up. Great, I thought, two girls crying in class, what an awesome day. I shook my head, stopping the tears.

"So, what about you. Let's talk about your best moments, most embarrassing moments, likes, dislikes, and stuff like that." I say, after taking a deep breath. Emily smiled, the tears gone from her eyes.

"Well I like pizza with mushrooms, mint chocolate chip ice cream, jogging, music, reading, kids, and action movies. Did you get that?" she asked. I finished scribbling down movies then nodded.

"Well, for dislikes, people who lie, cheat, gossip, and are just plain mean. I can't stand metal music and cliche books and movies. Also, bees freak me out. Don't ask me why, I know they won't hurt me and all that. I just don't like them." She said. I started giggling near the end and when she saw me, she hit me on the shoulder. "Hey, no laughing! What are you afraid of,oh Sam the Great One?" she asked me with a smug smile.

"Um well, I'm afraid of . . . roller skates. I mean you can break your neck on those things!" I said, not looking at Emily. She started laughing so loud that Mr. Lawrence looked up from his computer screen.

"Is their anything you girls would like to share with the class." he asked. Of course that made Emily try and fail to cover her laughter.

"No, Mr. Lawrence, sorry we'll go back to our project." I said glaring at Emily. "Yeah, sorry." added Emily, still giggling. Then the bell rang and I went to the door without waiting for her. She caught up with me in about two second.

"Sorry Sammy. It's just you took me by surprise. Still see you at lunch?" she asked, with a hopeful smile.

"I'm there and don't call me Sammy." I said smiling at her. Emily was good at getting her way. Or maybe I was just happy that someone was trying to get there way with me.

"Whatever Samantha. Bye!" she yelled jogging off again, pausing at the corner to give me a smile.

"Samantha's not better!" I yelled after her, smiling to myself.

* * *

We were under the tree again. It was the same group, except no Hollie. I asked Kevin about her when I got to our tree. He simply replied that they were over. I shook my head. Kevin went through girlfriends at an astonishing rate. There was only one person missing: Sam. As I was thinking this, she approached with her tray. She sat down next to me and said hi to everyone. It was amazing how easily she was excepted, but our group was pretty easy-going. I realized that I was staring at her, so I looked down at my tray. I still was oddly aware of her, though. It was like being next to a fire place except Sam was the fire.

"Hello, earth to Emily. Come in Emily." said Hannah, waving a hand in front of my face.

"What?" I said blinking like someone who had just been woken up.

"I was just saying how we should all go out for pizza tonight, if your up for it." she said, tilting her head at James. Hannah knew I liked him, and like a good friend she was trying to get us together.

"Sure, I'd love to go." I say,"You want to come Sam?" I ask hoping she'll say yes.

"Sounds cool, but I don't have a ride." She said blushing slightly.

"I'll give you a ride." I smile looking at her.

"Thanks a million, you're the best! Let me give you my address." she said looking through her bag. She produced a pen and wrote her address on some paper I gave her. She looked up and smiled at me. My heart gave an odd stutter and I smiled back at her.

"So it's settled. Tonight, eight o'clock at Joe's Pizza." Hannah said, with a satisfied smile. Then, the bell rang and lunch was over.