Before she had time to react, a dark figure seemed to materialise as if from nowhere, and suddenly he was on her, crowding her back against the wall.

"Miss Rushman..." Loki purred, pleased by having been able to take her by surprise. "Fancy meeting you here."

"Yeah, imagine that." She said dryly, suitably unimpressed with his opening gambit. "Listen, I suppose I've got to admit your persistence is kind of flattering, but--"

Her words dissolved as she was shoved back against the cool, rough stone of the building almost violently. A sharp gust of breath escaped her lungs, and her wide eyes goggled up into those piercing blue ones. His handsome face was now a mask of unveiled hatred. There was a visible cruelness in the fine lines around his mouth, the tightness of his jaw and the narrowing of his wintry eyes.

"What the hell--?"

He had somehow managed to grip both of her wrists in one large hand, and he held her arms pinned above her head. Their racing pulses seemed to throb together, as he held her in place with his body. The shock, and the feel of him, rendered Natasha momentarily incapacitated, so he was able to effectively pull her cell phone roughly from her hand, as her loose fingers slackened their grasp on it.

"You won't be needing this, Miss Rushman." He said smoothly, the velvety tone of his voice very much at-odds with his fierce countenance.

The phone was snatched and gone, she didn't know where, and in that moment she didn't rightly give a damn. All that mattered to her was her survival. If he was going to make an attempt on her life, he'd better make it a good one, because she certainly wasn't going to go down without a fight.

But as he held her in his tightening grip, he brought his face closer until they were almost nose-to-nose, and as he spoke she felt his cool breath ghosting over the apple of her cheek.

"Why are you squandering your affections on that unworthy man?"

Her breathing quickened, but she eyed him steadily. "Oh? And you're so much worthier are you? Don't bother answering it's a rhetorical question. Because you're obviously not a gentleman like you claimed to be."

He laughed lightly, and flashed a wide grin that made him look almost feral. "Yes I lied. How bad of me."

Remaining calm, Natasha continued to hold his gaze unwaveringly. She was more than capable of fending him off and could've easily extricated herself from his grasp. But she chose not to. And Loki was well aware of that.

Apparently he'd aroused a perverse curiosity in her.

Now he would set about 'arousing' her in an entirely different sense.

"Look, despite appearances, I'm actually a very busy woman. So instead of wasting my time, why don't you just cut to the chase and try telling me what it is you want, Loki no-last-name?" She demanded without emotion, already knowing what the answer might be.

"Isn't it obvious?" He replied simply, his voice deepening and slowing to an even more sensual drawl. "I want you."

Natasha swallowed. The man was fathomless. A walking contradiction. Although he was making his intentions blindingly clear, there was an underlying hostility in his mannerisms, his expression. And she found herself wondering why he would hold a grudge against her that warranted him trying to torment her in such a way.