Chapter 12

In the back seat of an Uber. We drive down the promenade to a Casino popular to many college kids and vacationing guests. Ray and I rarely spoke during the car ride, but as we got closer my stomach tightened. I put my hand on hers and said, "Ray, promise me something." I said. For the first time, she looked scared, fearful of the outcome, but I knew she was strong, she was ruthless. "Promise me, that we both walk out alive, and go back to California." She laughed, as if this were unbelievable. "And what happens when we get back to California, Bruno?" She asked me with a soft toned voice. "I give you a life that you've been searching for. A life of peace and happiness." Her grip on my hand tightened. "Okay." Was all she said, following with a kiss on my cheek.

The car came to a halt, and we had finally arrived to the casino, brightly lighting up the street facing the beach. When we exited the car, two large men, Dragonboy and Anchorman led us inside taking us a location inside the building where customers were prohibited. We entered a side door with a stair case leading us to the basement of the casino where we were exposed to a completely new world. So much temptation ran through my veins to get revenge on them for what they did to me. I felt like a new man after that event. I felt more powerful walking inside this building than ever before, but I'd be lying if wasn't scared.

"Ray!" From a distance, Manuel called her. He trotted over to her, hugging her, appearing happy to see her, but as he hugged her, his eyes met with mine. The eye contact was not genuine and I didn't trust it. He let go of Ray, and said, "So this parlay? You're really going to do this?" He asked. "Sure, why not?" She shrugged her shoulders.

Manny led us down a short hallway, into an open room, where we saw Xavier. I grabbed Ray's hand, stopping her from anything she may have wanted to do. "Ahhh, our two stars have finally arrived. Come, come sit. Can I offer you some water? Some of our finest liquor?" He asked. "No." I answer, however Ray refused to say anything. We took a seat, where Xavier's body guards surrounded us at a distance. Manny stood off to the side, but the side he chose in this entire scenario, is what confused me. He urged me to come here with Ray, but he never gave any reason why he couldn't come. Now suddenly when Ray finally comes face to face with the killer of her husband and baby, he's here.

"You two look great! But let's leave the compliments to the end." He placed some paper work on the table, and explained what it was. "This is our treaty. Our truce. We are not to fight and we will live our lives, both in peace and harmony, and not in blood. You, Ray, will keep your earnings and will continue to receive 10% of the trade that is earned monthly." Xavier said. "That's a pretty good deal." Ray nodded her head. "But that can't replace the lives you took. The ones you took away from me!" She swiped the paperwork off the table and interlocked her fingers together, leaning forward. "You're going to have to give me more than what you're offering." She said softly

"Repaying you in blood and death, is not apart of the deal, Ray." He leaned back, lounging in his chair. She mocked him and leaned back in her chair. She slowly reached for her weapon in her holster, sitting on her hip. "Well then what's the point of this parlay?"

A gun cocked back and when I followed the sound, Manuel had a gun pointed at the back of Ray's head. "Manuel! What the fuck?" I say to him, standing to my feet. He then pointed the gun to me, sweating from his brow. "I will shoot the fuck out of you, don't try it." He sternly said to me. "Just don't hurt her." I said.

I couldn't possibly comprehend why he was doing this, let alone to his own sister. He pistol whipped her in the head, knocking Ray to the ground. "MANUEL!" I shout. I couldn't tell if Ray had been knocked unconscious, shocked at being hit so hard, or who knows, both. Manny stepped away from her and over to Xavier. I slid to Ray's side, who was bleeding from the side of her head where she was hit. "Ray, baby, are you okay?" I held her hand. Her eyes danced under her eyelids, and I looked up to the two men, who were responsible for this fiasco.