Prologue

Breathe. I needed to breathe if I was ever going to slow my fast-beating heart. This could not be happening, especially not to someone like me. I didn't get caught up in drama or situations like this. Apparently that wasn't entirely true, considering I was now standing amongst the others in a dirt floor car park waiting for the signal.

  With a deep breath, I stared out into the darkness surrounding the cars that had become our targets. They sat perfectly in line and the moonlight shone brightly against their smooth bonnets.

   My vision blurred and I shivered. It was unnaturally cold for summer. In fact, it was so cold that I lifted my arms to wrap them tightly around my torso in an attempt to use my own body heat to warm myself up. The goosebumps littering my arms felt large under my touch and I closed my eyes in order to centre myself.

  The weather was the last thing that should have been on my mind. There was no way that I was going to be of any use if I kept losing track of the plan.

  I looked to the others and saw determination and excitement on their faces, but I couldn't get myself to feel the same. This was wrong and I knew it. I could tell by the sinking feeling that had made its home in the pit of my stomach. Except, I had no choice in any of this. I had to do this and I had to succeed or I was going to lose everything.

  "Are you ready?" said a familiar but unwelcome voice.

  I looked up at him and swallowed hard in disgust.

  "Let's just get this done."

  Turning away from the one person I had ever disliked, I walked out into the night.