Chapter 1 - Fight or Flight

Start from the beginning

"Stand aside girly, this Pokémon's got no cause other than to be a good little rat," The other man had a grin on his face. His larger stature making the beginning part of his statement all the more condescending.

That just made the girl snap at them, "No way! Go get yourselves real jobs instead of terrorizing poor Pokémon!"

"Real jobs?!" Baseball Cap scoffed, lowering his net to take out a Pokéball. "This still brings in money you brat! Time to teach you some respect! Help me out Raticate!" The large Pokémon materialized from the Pokéball's blue light, baring its yellow teeth at the girl at its trainer's whim.

"We'll help out, won't we Arbok?!" The other man sent out his own Pokémon, the large purple snake hissing out its agreement.

"You leave this Cubone alone! Let's protect our new friend Espeon!" The Pokémon easily responded to her owner's call, baring her teeth at the larger and more intimidating Pokémon while she jumped into the ground.

"That Pokémon will make a great sale! Raticate, use Shadow Ball!" Baseball Cap ordered.

"We're business partners for a reason! Use Dark Pulse!" Beardy tacked on.

"This is easy! Protect!" Espeon quickly followed instructions. The black and purple attacks crashed against the light blue barrier to create a beautiful but intense scene. "We're not stopping so move out of our way! Use Swift on Raticate! Double it with a Psychic and make sure Arbok feels it with an extra Psybeam!"

Espeon's attacks worked out perfectly. Raticate was too stunned by the sudden attack to do much but flail beside Arbok when they were lifted into the air. They were slammed back into the ground, Arbok forced to bounce while Raticate laid on the ground. The snake was left to gravity's devices while Espeon occupied herself with launching a Psybeam at the flailing Cobra Pokémon.

During all of the chaos, the girl picked the shivering Pokémon up gently, smiling at the blue teary-eyed Lonely Pokémon. "Hey, buddy, my name's Pheonix, Phoenix Everfree. I'll be taking care of you so just hang in there okay?" The finally identified girl smiled a little wider. "Remember to call me Phe though, okay?"

The moment the Arbok hit the ground in a plume of dust the Raticate was on its feet. Baseball Cap instantly took advantage of his Pokémon's return in the battle. "We aren't done yet! Use Crunch!"

"Nor are we! Do what you do with Quick Attack!"

The Raticate rushed at Espeon, the other Pokémon using Quick Attack to dodge the rat's dark magical jaws. Before it could react Espeon was in front of it again, head butting the tan-colored Pokémon back to its owner.

"Don't let up! Use another Psybeam on our slithering friend!"

Beardy tried to counter the attack, "Counter with Dark Pulse!"

"Arbok!" The Cobra Pokémon responded, firing its own attack to counter the incoming one. The two beams met in the middle, fighting for minimal ground for a few moments before exploding into a smoke cloud.

Phe wasn't quite done with the poachers. "Don't give them a moment to breathe! Swift on Raticate, give our other friend an up close and personal beat down with Quick Attack!"

The newly risen Raticate was met with a Swift to the face, the white streak now known as Espeon hitting a blind Arbok dead center.

Phe decided to be ruthless as Arbok was pushed back an inch and Raticate's view was cleared a little. "Point blank Psybeam!"

Espeon understood what needed to happen in an instant and executed the order. Kicking off of Arbok with the remainder of her Quick Attack Espeon was pushed towards a wide-eyed Raticate. It only took only a moment before the other Pokémon was launched across the field, the Psybeam doing a number of the scorched ground was anything to go by.