Chapter One

My breathing was labored. I was bent over my knees, breathing hard. The whistle blew and I straightened up, using the bottom of my shirt to wipe my face. "Bentley, nice job out there and impressed,” coach said and clapped my shoulder.

“Um, thanks, "I muttered and he laughed, pumping us up for a game tomorrow against Greendale, they’ll be a pretty easy win. 

I glanced up and had to force a blush down as my eyes connected with Zane’s. Zane grinned cockily and I chuckled, shaking my head. “Alright, be on the bus by one sharp, or you’ll be running the whole practice Wednesday.” Coach said and everyone groaned. “Hit the showers.”

I turned away, ready to wash off all this sweat. 

“Ew,” I grumbled to Gabe as I peeled the drenched shirt off of me. I hated that because I was goalie, I had to keep my shirt on.

I huffed out and then almost groaned as I heard Carver. “Bentley, dude, wait up!” I turned to see my brother and Zane running up to me.

“Come to your senses and you’re going to carry me? Come on I need my rest for tomorrow,” I complained and set my arms out towards my brother, who just laughed and flicked my head. 

“Do you work tonight?” I shook my head no and he grinned.

“Good, uh, Zane,” Carver nudged his friend and Zane blushed.

“Dude, screw this…” Gabe groaned as we stopped to talk.

“Asshole,” I muttered and Gabe laughed.

“I’m hot and sweaty and Chelsea is waiting for me,” he said as he ran away.

“Make sure you bag it up!” I yelled and he flipped me off, causing me to snicker. Carver so very rudely slapped the back of my head, making me roll my eyes to look at him. 

“Zane,” Carver egged on and Zane let out a heavy sigh.

“I know the school year just started but… I sort of failed Algebra 2 all last year and I don’t want to fail it again this year.” He mumbled and looked away.

“Oh,” I said and he chuckled slightly, rubbing the back of his neck. “So is Carver tutoring you or something?” I asked and Zane sighed again. 

“No, dumbass,” Carver said as we all started walking again. “I work in a kitchen and very well can’t teach math while I’m cooking patties. So can you tutor him? I mean the bookstore is dead like al the time, so it won’t be that big of a deal,” he said and glanced at Zane.

“Sure, I guess,” I mumbled and then Zane grinned and pulled me into a hug. I almost sighed.

“Thank you so much! Hey, I got to go. My mom is picking me up tonight.” He made a face, considering his car was still in the shop.

Once Zane was gone, I rounded on Carver and punched him in the chest. “Ouch! What was that for?” he asked laughing.

“You know… about… that thing…” I grumbled and Carver smirked. 

“How you’re gay and you like my best friend?” he asked innocently and I punched him again. It sucked knowing that I don’t really want to be gay, but I can’t help it around Zane. He’s amazing. “You’re just tutoring,” he said softly and I sighed, crossing my arms across my chest. 

“I know, but I get so flustered around him and I’ll probably slip and tell him about it and then he’ll hate me forever…” I whispered and Carver sighed, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

No matter how much we annoy or piss each other off, we’ll always be there for each other… Carver was my best man and I was his. Even after I told thin I thought I was gay he just said he wouldn’t tell anyone until I was ready, which included my parents and all of my friends from school.