Chapter Three (2021 Rework)

Start from the beginning

Finally we were off, and then all of a sudden it seemed like we were pulling into the school parking lot. It was a lot bigger than I thought, and despite not being nervous, I could feel Jackson's own nerves bubbling up. As if reading my thoughts, he started probing me.

"Are you sure you want to do this? You can wait if you want. I sure wouldn't want to go to school yet if I were you."

"Yes Jackson, I'm sure," I said as I rolled my eyes. "You don't have to baby me. I'm fine."

"You say you're fine, but you're still my baby sister. You went through hell for years and I wasn't there to protect you. If I can do anything to keep you from going through pain now, then I'll do everything in my power to make sure you don't have to," he said, holding my hand in his and squeezing it tightly.

It was times like these that I really appreciate how close Jackson and I were. Yes we fought sometimes, and we didn't always get along, but we're still the only real family either of us have left, and being twins it's no surprise we jumped right back to being close. I really couldn't ask for a better brother.

"Alright, enough sappiness. I'm fine," I said as he peeled into a parking space. "Let's just do this already," I said, opening the door and sticking a foot out.

I didn't expect the door to hit something though.

My eyes went wide, thinking I scratched Jackson's door. Instead I heard a voice from the ground.

"Jesus," the guy said, not yet looking up at me from where he'd fallen to the ground. Apparently that's all Jackson needed to recognize the guy though.

"Watch where you're going McCall," he snapped. My eyes furrowed as I turned around and shot him a dirty look.

"Be nice," I said quietly enough that he could hear me, but the kid on the ground couldn't. I may be a little rusty on my people skills, but I knew enough to know that you're supposed to be nice to the people you knock over, not act like a jerk to them. Turning back to the guy on the ground, I stuck a hand out to help him up.

"Let me help..." I started before trailing off when I locked eyes with him and his face registered in my mind.

"You," we said together. Sitting in front of me was the boy from the woods.

This McCall kid was a werewolf.

"You're the one who-"

"Hit you with the car door. Yeah, sorry about that," I said, cutting McCall off and feigning awkwardness as I rubbed a hand across the back of my neck. "Total accident. I'm glad to see you're okay though," I finished with a smile. I really hoped he got the hidden meaning in my words. I was glad to see he was okay. A kid my age dying from a werewolf bite definitely would have sucked. It was good to see that he made it. It's really too bad that his life was only going to go downhill from there.

"Don't worry about it," McCall said, taking my hand and pulling himself up. I could see his eyes shoot back and forth between me and Jackson.

"Alright, cool. Well, I'm sorry again. I've got to get to class, but I'll definitely see you around, yeah?" I questioned, sending this McCall kid a look that hopefully said 'we'll talk later.'

"Yeah, I'll see you later," McCall said, his face scrunching up as confusion laced his voice. I gave a laid back nod and began making my way towards the front doors of Beacon Hills High School. I was halfway to the door when McCall yelled something in my direction. "Hey, I never got your name!"

Looking back over my shoulder, I shot him a lazy grin. "The name's Morgan."

***

Scott's POV