Chapter Sixteen

Before Flynn entered my life, I used to spend a fair share of my time alone. In fact, the year has been pretty good to me already, seeing that I’ve been having quite an amount of human interaction.

  Which was why, I was thoroughly surprised when Wallace dropped into the seat beside me during lunch.

  “Hey,” He said.

  Usually, I was capable to returning the greeting. But I think the events of the day have exhausted me to the point where I could not muster up anything but a nod.

  “I heard you gave a splendid performance,” He continued.

  Before I could respond to that, Garret appeared.

  I could only register a little relief that it was Garret, not Benjamin that appeared before he sat down beside Wallace.

  “She did,” Garret confirmed. “It took my breath away,” He said.

  “Thank you,” I managed to choke out before the panic set in.

  What was happening?

  “Flynn gave one hell of a performance,” Garret continued, pulling out a sandwich. “How much time did you have to practice?”

  God, they’re going to eat with me?

  “Er, about three days,” I fiddled with the vegetables in my plate.

  “Impressive,” Wallace raised his eyebrows. “Man, what I would give to have been able to watch that.”

  “Your sanity,” Garret countered. “You hate Literature.”

  “True enough,” Wallace conceded.

  This was getting slightly awkward because I had nothing to add on to this conversation.

  Before I actually started praying to someone, I caught the sight of Flynn, at the far end of the room.

  I think my face must have had a look of pure terror because he actually started to make his way over. That made the heart pounding ease up a little.

  “What did Adams say after class?” Garret piped up again.

  “Just…just that he wanted us to act a particular play,” I said vaguely, hoping that Flynn would hurry up because I don’t know how long I could keep up with the social interaction.

  “Which play?” He asked with interest.

  God.

  “Annalisa,” Flynn sounded reproving when he reached the table. “Did you forget?”

  For a moment, all three of us stared blankly at him.

  I took in the irritated scowl on his face that didn’t match his eyes and then it occurred to me.

  Ah.

  For a moment, I thanked the Heavens that Flynn existed.

  “Oh goodness,” I raised a hand to my mouth. “I’m so sorry, I forgot.”

  “Apparently,” He said snidely. “We have wasted fifteen minutes and if we screw up the next presentation, it’s your fault.”

  “I said I was sorry,” I fought hard to keep the smile out of my face.

  “Hey, good job,” Garret nodded at Flynn.

  “Thanks,” Flynn gave him a grin.

  Why don’t I ever get that smile?