xxvi. talk it out

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX.
[ xxvi. talk it out ]
/ IRL /

GARRETT WAS MORTIFIED. It was weird to say since he was rarely intimidated by Millie herself. In fact, he was always excited to see her. But to see her face to face in person as strangers, or whatever they are, was mildly scary. He was afraid he would say something he would regret or he'd go back to being lost in his feelings about Millie.

He regretted his decision already.

     His thoughts caused him to become subdued during the car ride. The drive was rather quiet to say the least. Robby felt guilty for being so "pushy" to get Millie and Garrett together. He felt as if it was his fault in some sort of way. Jennifer didn't have much to say. She didn't know much of the situation since Garrett didn't talk much about it. When his aunt and uncle approached the subject, he immediately shut it down.

     Garrett's eyes occupied the window as he watched his surroundings pass him by in lighting speed (technically 45 miles per hour). He wondered how he should act when he's around Millie. Just be yourself, his conscious told him. But being yourself is why she doesn't like you, idiot, he argued back silently. He let out a forced breathy chuckle. Robby's eyes went to the rear view mirror to see why Garrett laughed.

"How you feeling, bud?" Robby asked to break the silence. Garrett shrugged sluggishly. His eyes didn't leave the window.

"I dunno. I'm kinda hungry," Garrett informed softly. He leaned his head up against the window, unamused. His phone kept vibrating from the amount of notifications. He glanced down at his phone seeing the group chat he's in with his closest friends texting back and forth. He thought about texting back, but he wasn't in the mood. Garrett sighed under his breath. He clicked his phone off and sat it beside him.

Millie fell sick to her stomach. Not because of any illness, but because of her anxiety eating her alive. She sucked on her bottom lip as she stared into space. The future situation had already played out in her head multiple times. Convincing her the worst was going to happen, which would be Garrett completely blowing her off and humiliating her in front of God knows who. Being realistic, she knew he would never do that.

     She started to play around with the ring on her finger. Twisting the small band back and forth around her ring finger. Sighing, she put her hands on her lap. She felt the soft fabric of Garrett's sweatshirt that was folded neatly on her lap. It was at least she could do since she did mess everything up. Millie might as well give him his sweatshirt back. After all, she didn't feel like she deserved it anymore.

     Paige Brown looked over at Millie for a moment to see how sad she looked. Paige looked back onto the road, "you okay, Millie?"

     Millie snapped out of her thoughts looking over at her older sister. She nodded, even though it was false. "Yeah, I'm fine," she added quietly. Paige wasn't convinced. She reached over turning on the radio.

"You know where the aux cord is if you wanna play something," Paige suggested while putting her hand back on the steering wheel. Millie looked in the direction where the aux cord was stationed.

She looked away, "okay." Even though she wasn't in the mood to play music, she still attempted to say something. The music became inaudible for Millie as she began to zone out again. He doesn't like you anymore, she thought to herself. She leaned her head up against the window. I know, but I need to tell him how I feel, Millie added silently in her mind.