Chapter 8 - The Cake

Start from the beginning

God I need help.

*

We stop outside a store. “Can we go in for a bit?” Seth motions towards the doors.

I check my watch to find that it’s 7:30. I turn to Seth, trying not to look at his abs that I can see under his unzipped hoodie. “Um, isn’t it a bit early?”

He grins at me, “Nah, it’s ok. I work here; someone’s usually up at this time sorting through the tins.”

I nod like I know what ‘the tins’ actually are and follow Seth to the back of the shop where he lets himself in through a graffitied door. I brush my hands over the door, examining the artwork of intricate designs and hidden pictures within it. I put my hand over the different things I can find.

Flowers, a little girl… Oh My God! Is that a…? Wait no, it’s a banana...ok, moving on… a tree, a lollypop…

I can feel someone’s gaze on my back, I turn to see Seth grinning at me, “Knew you’d like that. Steve painted it himself.”

“Who’s Steve?” I say my eyes drifting back to the door, amazed at the detail and how the random pictures in between just seemed to… work.

“I am,” says a voice. I whirl around to see a guy around Seth’s age standing next to him wearing a paint splattered t-shirt and ripped jeans. His nose has a dollop of yellow paint on its tip.

Seth grins at him, “Hey man,” he gestures to me, “This is Hailey, thought I might bring her round to see your stuff. She’s artsy like you.”

Steve smiles at me and holds out his hand, “Nice to meet you, I’m Steve Grey.”

I shake his hand tentatively. He has a firm grip and like the rest of himself, his hand is covered in paint. “Um, nice to meet you too,” I say quietly.

Seth takes out a wad of cash, “Came to pick up some stuff too, is it alright if we go through and get some things?”

Steve opens a door on the other side of the back room to reveal the insides of the shop. I step through and walk along the aisles of paint, canvases, pencils and other art supplies.   

So Seth meant paint tins.

Seth follows, “Get anything you want, I brought extra cash.” He picks up a couple cans of paint. “I’ve just gotta grab some of this because we’re repainting some of the rooms.”

I look at him in shock, “No way! I couldn’t do that! Art supplies are expensive… I’ll just come back some other time when I have money.”

Seth shakes his head, “Nope, I know that you’re running low on supplies… and well, think of this as an apology for what the guys did. Sure they can be absolute asses, but they mean well. Do you think you could forgive them maybe?”

I stare back at Seth, “Fine. I’ll get some stuff, but I won’t forgive them so quickly. I mean, they were discussing my bra size! Who does that?” I immediately blush once I realize what I’ve just said. “Forget I said that.” I mumble.

Seth chuckles, “Well I guess that’s the best I can get for the moment. I’ll just be in the back, so grab what you want and bring it over.”

“Ok,” I say staring at the shelves again, “Seth?”

“Mmmm?”

“Thanks.”

He grins at me and walks off. I walk through the different aisles, looking at all the sale items. Just because Seth offered to buy me whatever I wanted doesn’t mean I’m going to go on a full on binge. I glance at my watch again.