Chapter Seventeen

The ship, for all its lack of law enforcement, did house a brig—really just a small, secure room. It was in this room that Bettina was placed once the ship doctor, Dr. Powers, was able to rouse her. Apparently, the fact that she was stopped in the process of attempting to smother Myrtle, meant that the crime would end up being reported to the FBI upon return. Although they wouldn't investigate murders, a witnessed crime-in-progress appeared to be a different matter. And, considering that the somewhat loopy Bettina had fully confessed to Red that she'd committed the other crimes (and Red had been smart enough to record her confession with his phone), the other victims would also receive justice.

Myrtle found that she was very happy to spend the rest of the at-sea day quietly in the ship library with Miles instead of discussing the murder case with Red. What's more, during the long flight back home to North Carolina, she found herself frequently falling asleep ... aside from a frenetic plane change in Dallas. Maybe it was the fact that she was modeling sleeping so well, that Jack, who was in the middle seat between Myrtle and Elaine, also slept more of the way back home. It made for a very peaceful trip back. When they got back in at night, Myrtle saw that her yard and house looked quite tidy. It made her wonder again if Dusty and Puddin had really knocked themselves out that morning and had been slack the rest of the time she was gone.

It wasn't until the day after they'd returned back home to Bradley that Myrtle resumed her regular schedule. She woke up at the crack of dawn Eastern Time, which was the middle of the night in Alaska. The first thing she wondered was whether Miles were also up. She decided to walk by his house to see.

Sadly, Miles's lights were out and his house was dark. Myrtle raised her hand to ring his doorbell anyway and then hesitated. Miles had said that he had not slept on the plane. Not one wink. Perhaps it would be better if he continued to sleep and then they could have lunch at Bo's Diner. Even better if he drove her to the grocery store afterward so that she could restock her pantry. Best of all, if after they went to the store, they watched Tomorrow's Promise together.

Myrtle's head was full of plans as she turned to walk back down the sidewalk toward home. Which is likely why, when a dark, furry thing brushed against her, she shrieked. Myrtle wasn't ordinarily much of a shrieker.

It was Pasha, and the black cat appeared amazingly undeterred by the loud noise her owner made as she brushed back and forth repeatedly against Myrtle's legs.

"You dear, brilliant cat!" praised Myrtle. "You knew I'd come back!"

Miles's lights were now on, unnoticed by Myrtle until his front door opened and Miles appeared, steel-gray hair standing on end, robe hastily thrown on, and glasses crooked on his nose. "Yelling," he said in a tired voice, "is an unusual wake-up tactic for you, Myrtle, but quite effective."

"As a matter of fact, I was being very thoughtful," protested Myrtle. "I was walking back home so that I wouldn't disturb you. It's only that Pasha decided to have a lovefest with me and she startled me. The darling."

Miles, who hadn't seen the black cat in the darkness, took an automatic and wary step back.

Myrtle realized an apology appeared to be in order. "Ah ... sorry about waking you up. Just go back to sleep and I'll check in with you later. I've been formulating Bo's Diner plans and soap opera plans." She carefully left out the bit about the grocery store, guessing that the errand would sound less than appealing at five a.m.

Miles said, "You should realize that's not how it works. I'm up for good now."

"Well then, follow me home. I want to feed Pasha."

Pasha led the way back, knowing that tuna was at the end of the trip. Myrtle and Miles formed a small parade behind her. As they walked up to Myrtle's house, a figure separated from the dark shadows on the porch and croaked, "Welcome home."